lab politics? friends or foe

P

i started my ph.d 4 months ago and although i'm a very sociable person, i have only recently felt i'd been ' fully accepted' especially by the post-docs who seem to spend most of their time talking about other people in the lab, how did everyone else find working with new people? were they helpful or did they enjoy your despair?

T

I've been really lucky, as everyone in my research group is really friendly and have been happy to help.

But I know of people who have had a bit of a rocky start.. I think its just a case of carrying on being friendly with hem.. They will come round eventually lol

S

people dont seem to speak in my lab.. been here over a year and still not changed!

M

When labs are quiet they can be the most godawful places around. If there's chatty people and maybe a radio, it makes it all so much more pleasant.

S

grr wish we were allowed a radio!

M

The lab I was in last year, we had radio 1 on, and sometimes my supervisor would put his cassettes on. Having said that, he was one of the most likeable academics I've ever met, and was one of the few bosses who manages to tread the line between getting you to do your work, and being someone you like and respect at the same time.

L

I'm the only person in my lab, it means I can do whatever I want, but it would be nice to talk to someone occasionally

P

Hey laney feel free to chat to me

L

Thanks pinktrifle

P

anytime