Life after PhD

R

Hi everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice and general guidance I guess.

I'm currently writing up my PhD and am hoping to finish in the next 4 months, although my viva won't be until next April. A while ago I was really keen on continuing some of my work into a Post-Doc, however now that I am in the final stages of my PhD I'm in full on "PhD grump" so I'm finding it very difficult to think objectively about my future.

I know that post-doc funding is not easy to come by, especially at the moment so I'm wondering what the most sensible course of action for me is. I've recently seen a 1 year Graduate Teaching Assistant position advertised (£21-25,000) and I'm tempted to apply for it. I think it would give me some valuable teaching experience and give me the time I need to finish writing a couple of papers from my PhD and put together some really good funding applications. Would this job (or something similar) be a sensible way for me to spend my time? My PhD funding has run out already so I am living out of my savings and this is not something I can really afford to do for long.

Should I hold out and find a job in a discipline more closely related to my current area of research (Conservation genetics) or should I look at any short term job as a valuable opportunity to earn some money and plan my future?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received!

Many thanks

B

Could you arrange to have a chat with your supervisor about this? My own feeling would be that given the timescale you've outlined that the GTA post might be a good idea to apply for (but try and find out exactly how much teaching is involved so that you can judge whether it'd work - a friend got one and ended up covering the teaching of two members of staff who were on research leave and with so much new material to prepare and being inexperienced as a lecturer, she didn't get any of her own research done). But your supervisor is probably going to have a better sense of the job / funding market in your subject and what you would be best to do.

T

======= Date Modified 10 Aug 2010 13:31:54 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
I'm currently writing up my PhD and am hoping to finish in the next 1 year.....
I am thinking after PhD join the job....
give me suggessions about this...

D

I cannot see anything wrong at all with the GTA. You appear to have answered all your own questions. Just apply for the position, and if you get it, it will give you some experience as you say, money, and breathing space. Meanwhile you can monitor the airwaves for the job you want. Else you may begin to drift...

D

I agree, it sounds a sensible plan to at least apply. But don't count your chickens before they've hatched. I would um and ah about making the right decision only if you get offered it, it's a long road until that point.