Looking for PhD in USA or Malaysia

Z

Dear All,

Have just graduated from UCL with a Masters in Engineering. I am looking for a PhD (funded) within the USA or Malaysia. What and how are the best ways of going about this? Would really appreciate any help!! Many many Thanks!

O

Hello,

the best approach for you would be to go either to respective counterparts of www.findaphd.com in US and Asia or university websites with faculty information. By doing this, you will be able to find a Professor with your research interests which you can then contact.

O

PS: I wouldn't recommend doing a PhD. It's painful and in 99% harmful to your health, social life and career.

Z

Oh dear! Everyone is telling me that! But I feel I will regret it if I don't do one while I have the chance, i.e. no responsibilities.

I have tried findaphd.com with little results. Do you have any other suggestions?

H

I think the best way forward is for you to visit the websites of Universities in the USA and Malaysia that have engineering departments. Ask them if they offer funding for international students, perhaps what your chance are.

C

in terms of the funding in the US, try and get a teaching assistantship or a research assistantship. Get in touch with the Admissions committees or graduate advisors at the Universities of your choice and ask them what funding their departments offer.

C

look for what specific programmes you are interested in doing and then see which universities are ranked the best in your field or second tier universities for that program. You should get results with a simple internet search.

G

1) Do Your GRE, Get a percentile score above 80

2) Do not Apply for ivy league Colleges

3) apply for Middle level Universities.

R

giri,
why not apply for ivy league???

G

Simply because US dont give a sh..about UK Qualifications.

G

This is for the author of the post,

1) if you are planning doing GRE, and since your field is related to engineering, try to get over 97% in Mathematics and analytical papers. Don’t worry too much over Language.

2) Prepare an impressive "personal Statement" describing why you want to study in particular subject. Try to elaborate on a specific theoretical/applied problem of the field you are interested in finding answers

My other suggestion is to try NORWAY, FINLAND, GERMANY and SWEDEN for a PhD degree in engineering. These countries have a higher standard of living, excellent education and cultures which respect diversity

R

giri,
dont worry too much about language? well its quite apparent that you dont

I would of thought writing is a very important part of any PhD?

D

I think Girigoriya may have a case of chronic, verbal diarrhoea. Only my UK educated opinion though.

J

Girigoya's command of the English language is not the best. Yet, most of you happily bash her because of this and by doing this you display exactly that colonialist arrogance that you are accused of.

G

I think a fair amount of the bashing was based more on what she said (which was uniformly boll*cks), as opposed to the quality of her written English. A strange girl it has to be said.