Misunderstandings between PhDs and civilians No.564

R

Does anyone else find themselves clenching their fists in rage when people who have 9-5s and don't have much idea of what research involves accuse you of not doing any work/much work/as much work as them? Or that conferences are just paid holidays?

It drives me apoplectic with rage for several reasons

Given that I have worked a 9-5 (Only for a year admittedly) and got my first in my undergraduate degree through sheer hard work, I knew very well what represents 'hard work' and what doesn't.

I make a great deal of effort to ensure that I don't get lazy and fall behind, ie I make sure that I try to achieve something with each day in the office not just online or chatting etc and evaluate my progress regularly.

R

*********Addendum**************

I also find it hard to prove, given that I do have very flexible working hours and do take the odd long weekend, or work from home occasionally or have the odd lie in if I have a night out in the week. I can't explain what it is like to carry such a large burden on your own and how it is different from a 9-5. This especially annoys me when I have heart palpitations, insommnia and migraines from stress and I consider myself to be a very pro-active and hardworking student and am where I am because I worked hard.

Grrr! Does anyone else know what I mean, and how do you deal with it?

C

I'm lucky enough to have friends that do and don't do PhD's. Those that don't, pull my leg about not working - but know that I do. And those that do know by experience!

C

Postscript: Though of course I do type this whilst in my paid job, having printed off *another* 30 page journal article. One day I'm going to get caught and it ain't goinna be pretty! *argh!*

J

hee hee Chrisrolinksi, I used to do that too. I figured my boss paid a set amount per year for his Science Direct account so my secret downloads made no difference.

C

lol

And since I am working for the university anyway...I'm kind of taking from one hand, and giving to another.

That's how I justify it.

R

Rutherford

do not think that someone who works 9-5 by definition works hard, more the contrary: it may be easy going if there is a clear structure and fixed times.

For me people work hard who actually make decisions are productive and creative, people like surgeons, CEO's etc.

J

Rutherford, they've probably been reading news articles like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/world/europe/11bacon.html

and assume that we all spend out lives calculating things like how to make the perfect bacon sandwich.

J

Chrisrolinski: I used to worry that he would get an annual list of downloads, but he never did. I wondered how I would explain this one:

"Reaction of arsoles with iron carbonyls. Arsole → ferrole conversion"

(no explanation other than it made me laugh in a very childish way).

C

Having read that - I'll never question the validity of my research ever again. Okay - well, only in a self-reflexive thesis enhancing way!

C

My comment related to the bacon sandwich!

*sulk* I wish I had a journal article with a touch of humour!

S

How about this for a serious piece of research:

Harvey J.T.; Culvenor J.; Payne W.; Cowley S.; Lawrance M.; Stuart D.; Williams R. (2002):

An analysis of the forces required to drag sheep over various surfaces. Applied Ergonomics, 33, p523-531

I think you can still get it on ScienceDirect.

P

lol, this thread is so much more fun than looking up fMRI analysis!

T

Hey Rutherford, my Dad says exactly the same all the time - I'm not doing a proper job, just dragging out being a student even more etc. I've found that it's easier just to say 'yes, you're right, when will I ever learn' etc then just get on with your own thing, rather than getting stressed out defending yourself all the time.

He has always wanted me to be an accountant, and it took me a while to convince him that I couldn't count very well.

T

Oops sorry Pinky, I've rather lowered the jolly tone of this thread...