Need Guidance on Choosing a PhD Organizational Development/Leadership Program

A

Hi everyone, I am currently finishing my Master's in Organizational Development and am schedule to graduate Spring of 2019. I live in Colorado and am enrolled in an online program because I work full-time as a consultant and I am also a mother of two young children. I am interested in a PhD in Organizational Development or Leadership and am exploring the best options for me. At the top of my list is Colorado State Universities OLPC program that will enroll in 2020 and is a mixture of online and meeting in person on Saturday's. However, I want to make sure I keep all my options open and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for PhD programs in this field? I found that Colorado Technical University and University of the Rockies both have programs but, I am finding it difficult to find trustworthy rankings or insight into their programs. I want to make sure my education for my PhD is the best that I can get within the means that I have (i.e. - working and being a Mom). I understand there are certain limitations but, I would appreciate any guidance anyone has in this area! I do not mind full online programs but, would prefer a mixture of both online and on campus but, I am unable to move out of Colorado. Thanks in advance!

E

Hi can help you in regarding PhD guidance and effective finishing at the stipulated time. You are most welcome to contact me . my suggestion is to attend the program in online as well as in campus too. So the supervisor and you will be getting enough guidance. Moreover, ranking is highly important, when you are doing in full time. Since u wish to enroll on online, u can prefer any of these universities.

P

Quote From afarber3:
Hi everyone, I am currently finishing my Master's in Organizational Development and am schedule to graduate Spring of 2019. I live in Colorado and am enrolled in an online program because I work full-time as a consultant and I am also a mother of two young children. I am interested in a PhD in Organizational Development or Leadership and am exploring the best options for me. At the top of my list is Colorado State Universities OLPC program that will enroll in 2020 and is a mixture of online and meeting in person on Saturday's. However, I want to make sure I keep all my options open and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for PhD programs in this field? I found that Colorado Technical University and University of the Rockies both have programs but, I am finding it difficult to find trustworthy rankings or insight into their programs. I want to make sure my education for my PhD is the best that I can get within the means that I have (i.e. - working and being a Mom). I understand there are certain limitations but, I would appreciate any guidance anyone has in this area! I do not mind full online programs but, would prefer a mixture of both online and on campus but, I am unable to move out of Colorado. Thanks in advance!

There are absolutely, categorically no trustworthy university ranking systems anywhere in the world that I am aware of. All of them are routinely abused by universities and you should really ignore them. Millions don't and end up conned by the system. Here in the UK, several universities are being reined in because of it. In fact researching into this would make for an interesting PhD in itself but that is another story.

You need to find a program which works best for you and your circumstances. I wouldn't overly worry about 4 to 6 years down the line. Nobody can credibly plan that far ahead with any certainty. You will definitely be a different person by then with different priorities and goals. The PhD process will make sure of that.

A

Quote From Evolet:
Hi can help you in regarding PhD guidance and effective finishing at the stipulated time. You are most welcome to contact me . my suggestion is to attend the program in online as well as in campus too. So the supervisor and you will be getting enough guidance. Moreover, ranking is highly important, when you are doing in full time. Since u wish to enroll on online, u can prefer any of these universities.

Hi Evolet, thank you for your feedback and guidance. I think that knowing what I would like to do with this, being that I am already with a company I plan to grow with, the best fit for me would be Colorado Technical University since, rankings won't tend to matter considering it's not a degree heavily dominated by research. Appreciate the advice!

A

There are absolutely, categorically no trustworthy university ranking systems anywhere in the world that I am aware of. All of them are routinely abused by universities and you should really ignore them. Millions don't and end up conned by the system. Here in the UK, several universities are being reined in because of it. In fact researching into this would make for an interesting PhD in itself but that is another story.

You need to find a program which works best for you and your circumstances. I wouldn't overly worry about 4 to 6 years down the line. Nobody can credibly plan that far ahead with any certainty. You will definitely be a different person by then with different priorities and goals. The PhD process will make sure of that.

Thank you for the feedback PM133! I have had that same thought about ranking systems and honestly, unless I want a way into a company without having prior experience, I feel that the rankings don't really apply here and it hasn't hindered my career thus far. I have always preferred not-for-profit schools with courses that are accredited and has a decent reputation in the community and I feel that CSU or CTU will both offer that. Appreciate the guidance!

C

Here in the UK, several universities are being reined in because of it.

PM 133, interesting. Please give more details or supply the links to this. I'd like to find out more about this.

P

Quote From chaotic1328:

PM 133, interesting. Please give more details or supply the links to this. I'd like to find out more about this.

The link below is fairly recent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41984465

C

Quote From pm133:
Quote From chaotic1328:

The link below is fairly recent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41984465

Thanks. I was hoping for something a little more juicy, but its interesting nonetheless.

S

Hello all, you can use www.findaphd.com to search for PhDs, and also have a look at the advice on our website regarding university rankings (see below)

Best wishes,
The FindAPhD Team