Nerves at startinga PhD

F

Hello I have hung around these forums for a bit, but decided to ask a question now. I am due to start my PhD in October at Loughborough in Geography (Although orginally I started out as an environmental chemist, who via archaeology is doing her PhD in Paleoecology).

Ok my question is: Is it normal to be feeling sick at the thought of starting your PhD? I may have 2 MScs but I am still bricking it! Any advice you could give to help me calm down, and any hints would be much appreciated.

F

Ta for the reply DanB. No I havent studied south of the border before, I did my previous study in Aberdeen & Edinburgh. However, I have dug & have family south of the border. Any advice on Lufbra?

I have done some background reading, and have several papers I would like to read, so look like I will be investigating inter library loans asap!

T

You arent alone in feeling nervous.. I start in October and I am getting well nervous!!

F

Where are you going Tricky? I will have to bring some whisky down with me, and distribute it round new PhD student's around the UK to calm their nerves!

T

I'm going to the Institute of Food Research in Norwich

Whiskey souns good.. make mine a large :P

C

Don't worry.. I'm starting in October soon and I'm also nervous. But I'm also very excited which helps take some nervousness away!

S

I am nervous too! I m starting the PhD in October as well and the fact that I see it only as a job makes me even more nervous. Most of you would probably say I am also the most likely to quit coz of the lack of intrinsic motivation! Time will show...

M

I am also nervous. I am starting next week and try to do some general reading, but packing and travel preparations plus everyone willing to see me before I go takes most of my days!
And the area is quite new to me and I am so afraid that I should know more about the techniques...

No to mention that my genuine motivation from before the interviews is actually gone. I mean I really want to do it but I am not so hyper enthusiastic as I was before...

K

I'm suddenly very nervous and having a bit of a confidence crisis, just got all my marks back from BSc degree and don't feel intelligent enough to be able to complete a PhD! Feel like tim nice but dim!

S

I wish I could be nervous about starting the PhD. Things are so stressful and complicated at the moment that me actually making it there to start the PhD will be a relief!

D

You make Lufbra sound so nice - surely Nottingham can't be that bad DanB?

D

Most people will be just as nervous as it's a big step and commitment! And also a funny sort of transition but just take it easy, probably easier said than done when you're new to a place. The the workload is pretty easy on you at the start so it's a good opportunity to get into the social side of things.

Loughborough is a bit small if you're used to living in a city and nowhere near as nice as Edinburgh but it's ok. You can get everywhere you want in about hour or so except the library which is very far away at the far side of campus.

F

Cheers for the info on Loughborough. I think my nerves are bad this week, as I am signed off work this week, so can worry more than usual...owing to an accident at work (I nearly knocked myself out in a 17th century house), hope my head calms down soon!

D

Hey cool place to work - what do you do? Hope you are feeling better!

F

Gladstone's Land...a 17th century merchant's house on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh (will be glad to get back to research, 4 years of the public has done my head in...however, find it easier to do presentations now).