Not academia or industry, what else?

K

Hi everybody.

I'm part way through my second year of a PhD that is interdisciplinary in psychology (covering health and clinical psychology). I am starting to think about what to do after I finish and I'm really not sure which route to follow. I am thinking about academia but I realise how competitive it is, and as I am quite unique in where I 'fit' academically I'm not sure there will be a lot of room for me anywhere.

I'm also not in a lab-based field, so I can't really go to industry.

I realise this is an odd ask and I have done extensive googling before posting this, but I was wondering if those of you who have finished your PhD's could share about what you have been up to since you finished? If you are in academia how do you find it, and for those not in academia what do you do?

Thanks,

Kenzie

I am also second year of my PhD (lab based though) and have the same thoughts. I am trying to broaden my skills by doing those outreach events and conference organisation. It means more work but you will learn something from all the non-research roles that may come in useful in non-academic applications.

T

Quote From kenziebob:
Hi everybody.

I'm part way through my second year of a PhD that is interdisciplinary in psychology (covering health and clinical psychology). I am starting to think about what to do after I finish and I'm really not sure which route to follow. I am thinking about academia but I realise how competitive it is, and as I am quite unique in where I 'fit' academically I'm not sure there will be a lot of room for me anywhere.

I'm also not in a lab-based field, so I can't really go to industry.

I realise this is an odd ask and I have done extensive googling before posting this, but I was wondering if those of you who have finished your PhD's could share about what you have been up to since you finished? If you are in academia how do you find it, and for those not in academia what do you do?

Thanks,

Kenzie

Hi, Kenzie,

Think deeply about where your interests lie. If you are not interested in pursuing a career in academia, then finishing with a master and getting into a role to build up work experience maybe a better strategy. Your PhD may not be appreciated as much outside academia. However, if you want to be a lecturer or a researcher, then a PhD is absolutely necessary.

If you are researching going into industry, have a look at Versatile phd, Cheeky Scientist, and various articles online including https://medium.com/@pwolgin/an-academics-guide-to-getting-a-non-academic-job-fa9d566b57fb. All the best!

P

Kenzie, I started my own business after graduating from my PhD.
Despite the difficulties I would not re-enter academia amd probably not employment either.

K

Thank you for the replies, they have given me a lot to think about. I do like the thought of a career in academia - I've been involved in organizing departmental conferences, and even joined the departmental teaching and learning group. I guess I am just very concerned about the competitiveness and the need for a plan B (which I need to figure out).