Not sure if I should transfer?

K

Hi. I formed a project with a supervisor in order to get funding. However, funding went to someone who performed better in interview. Because I liked the project, though, I applied for funding from elsewhere and received a full grant. However, I'm not sure if I made the right choice as I perhaps could've used that funding at a higher-ranked institution with more of a research culture. I'm at an ex-poly (top 50).
I was keen to get onto the project, though, and really liked the supervisor's previous work. They had written extensively about my very niche topic and they know all the top names in the field. They are also doing research now that is related to this area and want to include me in it.
However, I can't get over the feeling I could be at a more prestigious place - I received top marks for BA and MA. A contact said she 'wouldn't do her PhD there'. I do like the supervisor and we get on well, though, and I like the person who got the initial studentship. Should I see if I can transfer to a bigger institution using my grant (perhaps there are one or two people who could supervise) or just carry on and make the most of my funding here? I can't seem to get over the fact I (possibly) could've used grant money for pretty much anywhere, depending on if I got a PhD place.

Thanks

First, congrats on getting an external grant! You must have been good to get that and it gives you a bit of freedom. Though it sounds like that freedom is making you doubt yourself. You will quickly learn that PhD students have woeful mental health and I would start reading on how to help yourself. Don't let a small insecurity spiral.

I would worry about the fact someone else is doing the same project at the same university with the same supervisor. What makes you two different? That in my opinion is a massive red flag unless you have decided to go different directions but is still not ideal.

I think (people will disagree) that the project and supervisor matter more than the institution. You want a project that you can stay interested in for over 3 years and a supervisor who is supportive. Get those two right and you can get a quality PhD even at a low university.

T

Quote From koopa_beach:
Hi. I formed a project with a supervisor in order to get funding. However, funding went to someone who performed better in interview. Because I liked the project, though, I applied for funding from elsewhere and received a full grant. However, I'm not sure if I made the right choice as I perhaps could've used that funding at a higher-ranked institution with more of a research culture. I'm at an ex-poly (top 50).
I was keen to get onto the project, though, and really liked the supervisor's previous work. They had written extensively about my very niche topic and they know all the top names in the field. They are also doing research now that is related to this area and want to include me in it.
However, I can't get over the feeling I could be at a more prestigious place - I received top marks for BA and MA. A contact said she 'wouldn't do her PhD there'. I do like the supervisor and we get on well, though, and I like the person who got the initial studentship. Should I see if I can transfer to a bigger institution using my grant (perhaps there are one or two people who could supervise) or just carry on and make the most of my funding here? I can't seem to get over the fact I (possibly) could've used grant money for pretty much anywhere, depending on if I got a PhD place.

Thanks

Quality supervisor triumphs university reputation. Ask your contact why she won't do her PhD there. Get more info. Is it the management style? Or that the supervisor has a really horrible attitude? Get more info. If there is something wrong with the supervisor, change to a different one. You hold the cards with your grant and can go anywhere.

P

koopa_beach.

As long as I have breath in my body, I will bang the drum about this.
Please STOP obsessing over league table rankings for universities and focus on your research. This nonsense causes more damage than almost anything else in academia.

You have a PhD position and you have funding.
Now get on with creating world leading research. Prove you are as good as you claim you are by delivering brilliant research outputs and nobody will give two hoots about where you created that research.

E

I would say your "contact" is more likely jealous. She is from this kind of people who suck happiness from us. They say negative comments in order to destroy your moment of achievement. Go forward and concentrate on your research. Remember that many brilliant students do not get a chance to do a PhD at all.