One and half year after Phd

E

Hi there,

I defended my Phd thesis in refugee law in May 2015 and successfully passed with high grades. I published my thesis as a book with a famous publisher in June 2016. Since then I haven't do anything. I have 3 years old twins who take all my time and energy. I am happy to be with them during their early childhood but what about my Phd? I haven't applied to any job for many reasons. English is not my mother tongue. I did my Phd and defended it in English but I am still not fluent. I don't have confident to do an interview in English. The kindergarten system in the country where I live is bad. My kids have been accepted only for 3 days a week and only 4 hours each day. There is private kindergarten but very expensive. We are supposed to move to our country next year because of my husband's work. Now, I have two possible options: 1. move with him to our country and try to find a job there. 2. Apply for a postdoc and stay in Europe with my kids. The two options are not easy.

P

Quote From emaa:
Hi there,

I defended my Phd thesis in refugee law in May 2015 and successfully passed with high grades. I published my thesis as a book with a famous publisher in June 2016. Since then I haven't do anything. I have 3 years old twins who take all my time and energy. I am happy to be with them during their early childhood but what about my Phd? I haven't applied to any job for many reasons. English is not my mother tongue. I did my Phd and defended it in English but I am still not fluent. I don't have confident to do an interview in English. The kindergarten system in the country where I live is bad. My kids have been accepted only for 3 days a week and only 4 hours each day. There is private kindergarten but very expensive. We are supposed to move to our country next year because of my husband's work. Now, I have two possible options: 1. move with him to our country and try to find a job there. 2. Apply for a postdoc and stay in Europe with my kids. The two options are not easy.

It is always tricky to balance parenthood with work. You need a supportive spouse, partner or family network behind you to give you the best chance of getting into work. You need to work out what you are prepared to compromise on and what you are prepared to sacrifice. There is no alternative but to talk with your husband about this. Either way it doesnt sound like moving to your country is going to give you what you need. I am assuming you already have spoken to him?

B

Agree that you need to talk this through with your husband - would he be ok with seeing little of his wife and children if you did live apart? Is there any flexibility with his job?
It sounds like the country you live in now makes it impossible to get a job in the short to medium term given the lack of childcare and the language worry. But Europe is a continent with lots of different childcare systems - is it feasible to get a postdoc somewhere where your childcare / language situation would be better? And would your and your husband's salary combined enable you to afford two homes? Do you have a sense of what the competition is like in Law to get a postdoc and how comparatively competitive you are? What about visas etc? I guess how practically feasible is the Europe plan?
Would moving back to your home country actually be better for you? I'm wondering whether family at hand might help on the childcare front, and obviously language would no longer be an issue. You don't really say what your objection to your home country is. It might be that the universities are less prestigious / jobs less well-paid but it's worth thinking about where you think your long-term future is and if that's your home country, then maybe starting to build a career there is the best strategy.