PhD Acceptance

E

Hi All

I am looking to pursue my PhD. With my undergrad I got a 2:2, however my last three semesters of my undergrad my gpa averaged 3.24, 3.00 and 3.64 respectively. I then went onto do my masters where I gained a Distinction. The PhD i am looking to do is in the same field as my masters as i am quite passionate in research in this area. Would my 2:2 at undergrad hinder my acceptance?

E

It might but it should not. There are enough open minded prospective PhD supervisors. Just apply and do not think of it as basic hurdle.

T

I think having a Distinction at Masters (very rare from what I hear) will overwrite the 2:2 at Undergrad. They will probably assume you were not fully engaged until you really got into what you are passionate about (and then you got a Distinction). And logically, Masters is a higher level of study. I wouldn't be concerned about someone GCSE reults if they got all As at A-level, for example. Good luck! :)

P

Agree with TQ and eng77.
I would not encourage anyone with a 2:2 to undertake a PhD but your Masters dissertation will definitely trump that and you should be fine.