PhD application. Do I stand a chance of a funded PhD in Biosciences?

M

Hi everyone, I recently finished a master`s in cancer biology at UCL, achieving a pass (64%). I also have a 2.1 (68%) in Biomed. Sci with a first in my research dissertation

T

Yes you've got a good chance. Make some applications.

C

If you apply, you have a chance. If you apply to more than one dtp, you have an even better chance. If you don't apply, you have no chance.

N

I think you have a good chance, though I am not in your field, so can't be sure.

You would have a good chance in my field. It's down to finding a good fit between your research experience/skills/interests and a potential programme/supervisor.

And how well you come across at interviews.

I would, if you can, get a position as research assistant, while you are applying. you can never have too much research experience. It will also equip you with invaluable skills and demonstrate you interest/motivation

Good Luck

M

Thanks for your replies. Fingers crossed I will get one eventually. I`ve heard cancer/oncology PhDs can be somewhat more competitive than other bioscience fields.

I definitely think getting a research assistant role would be an advantage, so I have started applying. I`ve also just submitted a PhD application.

I was wondering if these always require interviews, or if it is possible to get an offer just based on CV, cover letter and references without one.

C

No. Always an interview.

From my experience, it is harder with no first at both degrees but certainly not impossible. All PhD's in bio are competitive, not just the cancer ones. Plenty of people already have a good research experience, do you have a summer spent doing research or something similar?

Anyway, good luck.

M

Well for my master`s I had a 4 month research project in the labs for the dissertation module, and that went on from May last year until August. I was hoping that this experience could boost my application despite having quite average grades.

My BSc was from a top 50 non-RG uni also, I don`t know how much that will go against me.

P

Quote From Michael65:
Well for my master`s I had a 4 month research project in the labs for the dissertation module, and that went on from May last year until August. I was hoping that this experience could boost my application despite having quite average grades.

My BSc was from a top 50 non-RG uni also, I don`t know how much that will go against me.

It will make no meaningful difference. I would be surprised if anyone knows what a "top 50 non RG uni" actually means anyway.

M

Sorry bad wording on my part. Obviously I mean`t what would be considered a middle ranked uni, rather than the "elite" russell group ones.