PhD funding Reserve list

H

Hiya, I received an email today to say that following an interview, I am on the reserve list for funding for the SWW DTP. I understand that there's no way of knowing how many people are on the list and what position I might be on it but does anyone know whether every candidate that gets interviewed gets placed on the reserve list?
This is my last chance for funding for this year so fingers crossed!

B

Not every candidate will be on the reserve list.

You have a chance - it's a slim chance, so make other plans, but you might get lucky. I've been in a similar position before and I reckon that a fair few people who get PhD funding offers will be top candidates who end up with an embarrassment of riches, and end up choosing between 2 or more offers. If one of them ditches your studentship for their preferred option, you might be in with a shout, especially if you are first reserve.

Don't count on it, but I always assumed that 'reserve list' was meaningless and a way to let you down gently - of course it's not, it's there for a reason. Good luck!

T

Hey and good luck! I was on a reserve list for one of my applications, and was offered it in the end. I rang up admin and asked how many were on the reserve list. They told me there were two others and that I was on the top of the list. I didn't find out for a good week or so after the date they told me I'd know by. It was a horrible waiting game. I just kept ringing up to check (no doubt annoying for the admin person), and also made other plans in the meantime (applied for several jobs). I'd been disappointed before, so there was no way I wasn't going to have a real Plan B.

Hope this helps!

H

Hey, thanks for the advice. I called the office and learned that not everybody gets put on the list but that my application is 14th in line. Given that they only give out 60 studentships, I don't think it's going to happen but you never know. Thanks for your help anyway :)

T

Ah, you never know. All the best!

C

In the same boat here, but our lot (NINE DTP) wont tell us where we are in the queue. I took that as a polite 'no', and am looking at alternatives.

T

It's always best to have Plan B. A real one that you're actively pursuing. In my experience, somehow (and annoyingly), that's when opportunities seem to open up. On the other hand, when all the eggs are in one basket, things hardly ever work out and it can be pretty heartbreaking/soul destroying.

All the best both!

A

Quote From HumsApplicant:
Hiya, I received an email today to say that following an interview, I am on the reserve list for funding for the SWW DTP. I understand that there's no way of knowing how many people are on the list and what position I might be on it but does anyone know whether every candidate that gets interviewed gets placed on the reserve list?

I am in the same boat, as I am on the reserved list for a PhD Scholarship and the waitlist pool consists of 6 candidates. I am unaware where I stand in terms of ranking of these 6 candidates, but if anyone could share their thoughts on the possibility of this panning out, that'd be really helpful.

C

Quote From Ayurshi:

I am in the same boat, as I am on the reserved list for a PhD Scholarship and the waitlist pool consists of 6 candidates. I am unaware where I stand in terms of ranking of these 6 candidates, but if anyone could share their thoughts on the possibility of this panning out, that'd be really helpful.

Hope for the best, but expect the worst. Time to put alternative plans into action.

T

Am also in the same situation here. I am on a reserve list for a Doctoral Research Scholarship in Economics and I was told that I will be informed in the event that a Scholarship becomes available. However, it's more than a month now and am yet to know my fate. Just hoping for the best.

T

You could give them a ring and check? I would just treat it as a no and do other things (eg. applying elsewhere and for different opportunities). Then in the case that it turns out that it is a yes - then that is great! But if not, that is OK too - you've got other plans.

H

Hey guys, I just found out that I was lucky enough to get the funding! Hope you have the same stroke of luck :)

C

Hey guys, I just found out that I was lucky enough to get the funding! Hope you have the same stroke of luck :)

Congratulations! I have given up on my ESRC application, withdrawn my acceptance of the offer of a place for the PhD, and have applied to another university that still had some (both fully and partly-funded) scholarships available.

C

That's great news! Congratulations!

T

Congrats! Happy for you!