PHD or Doctorate's abroad, Africa in particular?

S

Hi there,

Im currently in my 3rd year of a Psychology Degree and im struggling to find any information or even a starting point in regards to continuing my studies in Africa as a PHD student or to complete my Doctorate. has anyone got any advice? I want to apply soon as I dont want to waste time in England. i would rather go straight to Africa once I graduate.

Thank you in advance,

Sarah

B

My blunt advice would be that with the exception of South Africa, don't do it, if you want to work anywhere other than the country you get your doctorate in (and then check that they hire their own graduates - some countries really look for N American / UK PhDs). Otherwise Africa is a large continent and the rules will vary from country to country and from university to university. You'd need to narrow it down for anyone to help you properly. The relevant embassy in London might be helpful.

T

I totally agree. The sad fact is many developing countries are unable to supervise PhD students due to lack of knowledge and lack of experience - hence so many international students doing PhDs in Europe and the US sponsored by their governments. You are much better off doing your PhD in a developed country and then moving to the African country of your choice where you will probably find it pretty easy to get an academic job.

P

You didn't state why you want to head out of England for somewhere in Africa. That could have helped in putting your relocation plans into perspectives when responding to this post. Bewildered is absolutely right. Do you know how many Africans travel overseas (Europe, North America and Australasia) in pursuit of academic qualifications? DO NOT, and I mean NEVER EVER consider obtaining higher degrees anywhere in Africa except South Africa. Even so, only do so at the exceptionally good ones (e.g. the University of Cape Town, Rhodes University or Stellenbosh University), if they offer the programme(s) you're interested in. Cape Town university and city, in particular, favourably compares with many Western European and North American universities and cities. Good luck.

S

hi snaylor
perhaps you can consider looking for a non-African university to do a PHD which requires research in Africa? Maybe some project on say rural land development or research on women's health etc in an African area or theology studies in Africa etc.

that way your desire to go to Africa may be fulfilled---and you can do a phd as well!

What others have said about having an African PhD--it is true to a large extent because when we apply for jobs, we have to compete with others who have loads of publications, years of job experience, and PhDs from UK, USA, Germany, Singapore, India, Australia...

love satchi

U

Reading this thread I am actually surprised by some of these comments which really need qualification as not all African countries are developing and certainly South Africa is not the hallmark. Plus African scientists who do train abroad are tending to go back and train other scientists (they also collaborate with other universities). The question was in regard to continuing their studies in Africa to which they seem to feel strongly about. The best thing to do when in doubt is just phone the universities in question.

T

I guess this depends on your definition of developing/developed country. If not South Africa, then which country would you suggest is more developed? Kenya, perhaps? Nigeria? Sure they've got decent economies but they've still got a long way to go in terms of health care, education and public services.

My comments aren't coming from a position of ignorance; I've spent time in Africa and I've met several African students here in the UK and listened to their comments on their own countries. They still have a long way to go until they meet Western standards and that's why I wouldn't recommend doing a PhD there.

S

Hi, thank you everyone.

Yes, I wanted to work in Africa through an English institution such as Bradford, Leeds or Manchester but I am unsure of how to apply. I have approached lecturers already at Bradford and so far they seem as unsure as I am. I want to apply asap to ensure I am not wasting time. How early can you apply for a PHD? I have been told that now Universities prefer you to go into a masters first? However, I want to go straight into the doctorate/PHD. Failing that, I will be staying in England for 3 years to do a PHD in Clinical Psychology.

Thanks very much for all the advice. Much appreciated.

Sarah

S

hi sarah
it is possible to apply for a phd early but to be considered for it-- you need to have really good results in your first degree--and it also depends on who is assessing you--for example some lead investigators/professors prefer people who have done a masters degree etc. one reason is because sometimes there is less cumbersome supervision when the student has done a master degree and may be already familiar with some research methods etc.

If you are keen on doing a phd with research/work in Africa, you'd be best looking for people already working with projects there :-) remember to post back n let us know how you get on :-)

love satchi

B

Snaylar, Am from Kenya, I did my undergrad Bsc. and Msc. in Kenya. Am now defending my thesis today in accounting in UK. I will respond and share with you my experience after my defense and suggest options.

T

I like how people who have never studied in any African country can give such comments. It's unfortunate that I am only seeing this post now. I have studied in 6 different countries all over the world, 3 are developed countries including the UK. In my opinion, UK education is overrated.The standard was not good enough. I can honestly say the education I got in my country is at the level of the 2 other developed countries.

I hope the OP continued with their education in the African country of their choice.