PhD submitted - no examiner?!

P

Hi everyone,
I'm after some advice about the limbo between submission and freedom. Despite trying to make sure it was organized well beforehand, I was surprised to learn when I handed in that my supervisor had not appointed an examiner. This is against university rules. A month on and I'm getting no responses from my supervisor (which is also going to be a problem for publications I suspect) and though the uni seem supportive, I think they are reluctant to push too hard. I'm worried as I a) do not trust my supervisor in the slightest and b) another student waited 9 months for a viva recently under the same supervisor. After fighting for 6+ years to submit I can't afford to drag this out any longer.

My question is - is this abnormal or am I just being paranoid? And secondly, if it's not normal, any advice for dealing with a supervisor who is unresponsive as soon as you submit?

Thanks! And thanks for postgraduate forum for keeping me somewhat sane over the past few years :)

U

Hi Panny, sorry to hear about your situation. Which uni you are studying? To my knowledge, most uni in the UK requires all info about your PhD viva (thesis title, abstract, expected dates for thesis submission and PhD viva, details of examiners, etc.) provided at least 2 months before you submit your thesis. So your case sounds totally abnormal. You can contact the Director of Postgraduates or talk to your co-supervisor or advisor for help. Meanwhile, try to approach your supervisor again and again, asking him to choose the examiners (or you can propose some) and invite them to be your examiners. Strikingly, you can submit the thesis and have your PhD viva without your supervisor's approval (although it is NOT recommended as you will likely need his/her reference for future job application) but you still need him/her to contact the potential examiners - so be patient and act wisely!!! All my best wishes!

I

Hi Panny,

Sorry to hear about your frustration, but you are not alone. I had to wait 10 months for my examiners, because of poor RGS staff and RDC committee (3 of my potential examiners) were not approved. I was consistently meeting and emailing my supervisor. You have to be polite with your supervisor as they follow you as a shadow. :)

Submitting without examiners appointment is rare, but if you are ready then you should submit as its not your fault. As ubba suggested, you can nominate your examiner, However, you can not approach them directly.