Postdoc in academia to industry

K

Hi all, I have completed 1 year of postdoc (Molecular biology) and have one more year to go. The project is not going well and I dont think I can pulish at the end of 2 years. I am planning to apply for industry after my postdoc. I have 4 publications (3 first author) from my PhD in low impact journals. Is it hard to get a job in an industry without any industry experience?. Does industries offer entry level technical jobs for postdocs and if I get one, will that effect my career.
Thanks

P

There is no reason for you to target entry level technician roles.
Of course, you may end up having to accept such a role but you shouldnt accept that unless you have to.
Industry does look for experience but yor PhD and postdoc will definitely count as that.
Be brave, appreciate your value and dont undersell yourself.
By the way, you should ignore the expected skills and experience list. People who write job specs rarely know what they are looking for other than a CV which excites them. A CV from a Doctor will excite.
Simply tailor your CV to the job and send your application in if the job is for you.
Be prepared to send a LOT of CVs. Finding a job is a full time job.

K

@pm133 Thanks for the encouraging words.

W

And I would say, start looking for a position well ahead of time. It is sooooo much easier to say "Sorry, if I [can't do X | can't get responsibility Y | can't earn Z], then it's just not for me" if you do not need the job and if you are not already super frustrated.
Though of course, it is probably tough especially towards the end of the project. I there agree with @pm133, finding a job is more work than it sounds.
Best of luck!

P

The biggest problem is finding the right job.
Getting any old job is less tricky.

K

I agree with both posters, but keep in mind that today's job market isn't great. The money will be there but they'll want experience or the other way around. Best to start applying early.

K

Especially rn in the CRO industry the chance that UK don't join EU compliance will hit the industry and threaten to kill it off in the UK. Companies (very well known ones) aren't investing big right now.

P

I am not persuaded at all that the jobs market is worse than it was 30 years ago. Companies have always wanted experience.
I think things are much easier now because the internet gives easy access to jobs everwhere. It used to be a nightmare in the 90's.

Dont focus just on big companies. The vast majority of all companies are small companies who cant afford to advertise jobs through traditional routes and in the main struggle to find the time to even write adverts.
If you stick to big companies you will be competing with every Tom, Dick and Harry for a job which is likely to be very restrictive. With smaller companies you get exposure to a much wider set of skills.
Worth bearing in mind.

K

Thanks for all your suggestions.

F

Although the current job market is not in a great state, it is never difficult to get a job in the industry of your choice, provided recruiters/hiring managers find your CV attractive. Always remember not to underestimate your skills. Keep looking for opportunities even in some of the lesser known companies, as they tend to recruit personnel with broader or slightly non-specific skill sets. A few high-profile companies also do the same. Have you attended any good conference lately? Are you making a conscious effort to network with peers and influencers from your field? Do you have an up-to-date LinkedIn profile? You can check out this useful resource I came across that offers important tips to postdoctoral researchers: https://www.enago.com/academy/top-5-career-tips-ph-d-postdoctoral-researchers/

K

Thanks fenlon_lisa for the info.