Potential postdoc versus potential lectureship

G

So I'm potentially facing a tough decision.

I have an interview next week for a postdoc.

The pros: It's a good, well paid part-time position. The project is related to my PhD expertise but only loosly meaning that I wod broaden my experience. The pay is high enough that I could just do this part-time role and have time to publish papers from my PhD.

The cons: It's quite a commute (about 65 minutes each way on an average day). If the work is split over 5 days would mean a lot of travel time. It's only a 12 month post.

On top of that I've just been told by the Head of my department (where I'm currently finishing my PhD) that several lectureships are going to be advertised next month and that I should apply as I would be an asset to the department. I was even given pointers on my application and reminded of how my research would fit in, teaching opportunites etc...

My issue is that I would love a lectureship in my department, I love it here but even when I apply it's not guarrenteed. If I'm offered this post doc next week then I will have to decide whether to accept and miss out on the chance of a lectureship or decline and apply for a lectureship next month and risk coming away with no lectureship and having declined a postdoc!?

Any advice or comments from others' own experience would be really helpful!

GM

H

GM, I think you should think about this when/if you get offered the job!

Best of luck :)

T

I'd go to for the postdoc interview for the experience but wait for the possible lectureship. Worst case scenario - you get the postdoc, turn it down, and then you don't get offered the lectureship... you still have the experience of both interviews. But I think you've been tipped that you'll get a lectureship - and your chances are up as more than one is going to be advertised! Just my opinion... : )

T

Yep, go for the interview, and then turn it down if you need to! Good luck Grumpy!

P

If you get offered the post doc take it, then apply for the lectureship. If you get offered that, resign the post doc and take the lectureship, if you decide that's what you still want to do. Good luck.

G

OK so I've been offered the postdoc and need to get back to them on Monday!

On top of that, they have offered me a more senior (0.8) post as an alternative to the post I applied for because they feel my skills and experience would suit!

I'm over the moon with the offer but still have the decision to make.

For more info: the uni where the postdoc is is a Russell Group uni and higher ranked than my current in terms of research. I was also told that there would be opportunities to apply for further grants alongside the PI or apply for lectureships. The post is beginning to sound much better than the initial 0.5 temporary post.

I know a few of you have said to turn this down and wait for the lectureships to be advertised but in light of the offer I'm thinking of taking it and then I could always apply for a lectureship at my current uni in 12 months time?

Thoughts very welcome! This is biggest career decision I've had to make in a long time.

Thanks for reading.

GM

T

Wow Grumpy, that does sound like a great opportunity! Super jealous! But well done!

I would take it because that other lectureship isn't guaranteed anyway.

But if that lectureship comes up and it's permanent, you might want to take it because there's no guarantee there is going to be any jobs available in the next 12 months!

T

I'd certainly take up the postdoc for now. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Take it up, see how it goes after 12 months, besides, the postdoc experience will enhance your CV

C

Congratulations GM! Although it seems like a dilemma, what a great position to be in! I would take the postdoc, and if something better/more secure does come along - well, they must know people will move out of temporary posts if and when they can.

D

People encouraging you to apply certainly is no guarantee that you'll get the job in my experience - in fact it would be pretty worrying if it was!

G

Quote From DocInsanity:
People encouraging you to apply certainly is no guarantee that you'll get the job in my experience - in fact it would be pretty worrying if it was!

Of course not! But it was good to know that I had the backing of one of the panel members.

I did actually apply for the same job some months ago and was shortlisted but not offered the job due to a lack of research experience. For this reason and because I don't like the idea of the gamble, I'm going to accept the offer of the postdoc :)

Thanks everyone for your advice and congratualations, now I just need to call back, accept and negotiate a start date! eekk! exciting stuff!

GM

G

Quote From TheEngineer:
. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Very true!

B

I think you're right to make the choice you are doing. If you've not been at a research-intensive university for the PhD, it would probably good to experience it as a postdoc to get a sense about whether teaching or research intensive universities are ideally where you would like to work. A postdoc will also give you time to publish and get a solid start to that bit of your cv whereas I know a couple of people who went into teaching-heavy posts, who've never managed to do that, which significantly limits future options.

T

Congrats! That sounds awesome! From the extra info you've stated, I'd defo go for it!