Question about sampling

C

Hi there

Does anyone have any suggestions on what forums would be most useful to post a survey. I am interested specifically in Hispanic/Latino and African American populations. My thesis topic requires a significant portion of respondents in my sample. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

C

I can't help with specifics I'm afraid, but having recently done a survey myself, I found Facebook to be by far the best way of recruiting. My university and sponsors both published the link on their pages and I managed to get a few other charity organisations in a related field to share the link as well and joined many related facebook groups (local and regional) and asked to share in there as well.

I also posted in several internet forums and managed to get it in a widely circulated magazine.

Something else I did was get some business cards printed with the survey url on. I had hoped I could get to some local shows or that there would be meetings/conferences I could attend and hand them out but sadly it ended up not working with my time frame.

One tip, which I only started doing later is to tailor the URL based on where you're sharing it, that way you can see which route your responses are coming through

K

I used social media to recruit for my study and also an organisation called Prolific - they have a bank of over 10,000 people in the UK who sign up to do research - obviously this has self-selection bias as an implication. I got about 2/5 of my sample from there and the rest primarily from facebook groups and Twitter. Tweeting organisations/people involved in what you are looking at normally resulted in retweets, etc.

T

Hi I am new here but I generally find that when I want to sample a particular demographic I think about there interests or look for Facebook groups that they belong with. I would look for African American Facebook Groups for example and you will find a lot. I hope this helps.