Random enquiries about your work

S

Hi all,

Just interested in getting some perceptions of an email I just got and how others would respond to it.

My area of research tends to draw quite a bit of interest from people. I've had quite a few emails from campaigners and organisations since I started asking for me to let them know when it is finished so they can read it. I also get the odd query from journalists. Today though I got an email from someone who said they had just read about my work on the school website. They gave no information whatsoever about who they were and why they were interested. They had two questions - how many participants did you get, and how did you recruit them? I have googled the person and can't find any clues about who they are and why they might be interested.

Generally I do tend to be quite a paranoid person. I know I should like it that someone is interested but I feel quite uneasy about this one. I feel like just responding and saying - um who are you?! How would you respond to this? I think mainly I feel quite nervous as the area I work in is quite contentious and sometimes attracts really negative and emotionally charged responses in addition to the nice positive ones. I also just think it's a bit rude that the person just asked those questions without saying who they are and why they want to know!

If anyone has any thoughts i'd really appreciate it. I'm probably just being silly but it is bothering me so thought it would be worth putting it out there.

Thanks

B

Now I'm intrigued as to what kind of work you do...

My thoughts: Politely thank him/her for taking an interest, and ask about the nature of his/her inquiry (i.e. something along the lines of "Are you from an organisation/company relevant to [whatever it is your work is about], and for what purposes are you seeking this particular information?"). No need to be too apologetic for requesting this information first; it's only normal to want to know who you are speaking to and what their intentions are before entering into a conversation entirely about your work. If you thank them for showing an interest, they're unlikely to find you rude.

C

Hmm I'm intrigued too!
Guess it's possible they are from school and genuinely did find out about your research through that. I remember when I was younger not necessarily knowing the best way of going about doing things (such as contacting people and letting them know exactly who you are). Then again when at school I doubt I'd have contacted a researcher, but then the internet was pretty new (to me) and has changed a lot of ways people do things.

Anyway I have a feeling I'm rambling (it is 2am mind)! I agree with the last post and would contact them back with some polite enquiries about them. Perhaps say you'd have to verify the exact number after the weekend to get out of answering the questions, or just be honest and say you'd rather not as you are unsure who you are dealing with.

S

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for responding.

I replied to them as suggested and they replied back to me saying that they were a student and they wanted to know whether 'getting my sample' was 'hard'. I hate it when my participants are referred to as a 'sample'. Just a personal thing I guess, I just feel it is a bit clinical sounding. Anyway I replied and said it wasn't easy but it depends on the approach you take and advised they get in contact with a specific organisation. They replied back to me and seriously I am now doubting that they are who they say they are. The reply is full of ridiculous typos and obviously very little knowledge of the subject. It makes very little senseThey claim to be a PG student already but I seriously doubt it. Hmmmmmmmmmm. I have referred them to my supervisors now so hopefully whoever it is will buzz off!

D

Hi Slowmo,

Firstly, good idea to refer to your supervisors - make sure you keep copies of everything just in case anything dubious comes from it.

I used to have people often email me about my work (although my work wasn't remotely contentious) and there are a few telltale signs - if they use a specific email address (i.e. a .ac.uk or one where you can trace the origins) and they explain who they are, then they're probably okay. If they use a disposable email (hotmail, yahoo etc) and say nothing about themselves, just best not to respond at all. You don't have to respond to everyone after all!

D

I had a similar experience with my undergrad dissertation. I had made an extensive field research on a topic not investigated at all. Some
"journalist" called me asking for the abstract. The dissertation itself was in the library of the university, so I suggested he would rather refer there instead. Some weeks later I had a call from the prefecture office of the area. They actually adviced me not to give any information apart from my bibliography. I explained that there was nothing written on the subject, they could only refer to transcripts from the previous century found in the local library upon request. Then a professor from the local university called me at midnight and pretending a nice voice she asked me for a coffee out to discuss about my dissertation. Once more I refused and she told me with a bitter voice "I hope everything turns out well for you". After a month or so, the Dean of my university called me, asking permission to use my dissertation. I told him that if so many people are interested then maybe we could publish it to become available to everyone, and that I was not willing to give away unpublished work. Moreover, as I didn't have any experience in writing by that time, it had a lot of valuable field research information written badly. He said he would call me back but he never did. However, I believe that these are exactly the kind of things that don't happen in the UK and turned me into an immigrant. Actually, in the UK I had the totally opposite experience.

Hi Slowmo, I think that if someone doesn't let you know exactly who they are and where they are from, and why thy want the information, then they don't deserve a response - it's just not professional to approach someone without a proper introduction and explanation.

S

Thanks guys :-)

I seem to have repelled them by ignoring their actual questions and just referring them on. Reading the email again it is no way it is a student. I am a bit concerned as I have had a journalist on my case who has been known to write some dodgy stuff related to my topic for the past 2 years and I keep telling him the same thing - my thesis will be available via the university library when it is complete and should I want to talk to the media I will get in touch myself. I'm not sure if journalists are allowed to pose as other people to try and covertly get information. I never told the person anything at all though and have kept all copies of the emails just in case. Hopefully it is just someone being a bit nosy and I will not hear from them again.

J

Quote From slowmo:

I'm not sure if journalists are allowed to pose as other people to try and covertly get information.

Who would stop them?  My brotherinlaw is a press photographer and he hangs around courts befriending criminals girl friends while they are waiting for the verdict so he can then get a photo. I don't think he would have any qualms about pretending to be someone else.

I think you are right to be sceptical.

When I write to other academics I am so convinced that they won't reply that I write a long explanation of who I am, why I am writing etc (and usually say that X suggested I contact you if they know X).