Revise and resubmit-passed viva exam second time round!

P

Quote From AlphaOmega:
pm133 there is, in fact, a huge body of literature on gender equality and difference (google Luce Irigaray and This Sex Which is Not One); because you do not frequent circles where it is debated it does not mean the the debate does not exist.

I said it is not discussed ENOUGH. I did not say the debate did not exist.

If you are going to jump down my throat, which you are perfectly entitled to do if you wish, please at least have the decency to actually read what I have written before doing so.

D

PM133 we are on the same page with this. Ive always been a little naive about the world (overprotected daddys girl from birth!) but I grew up in quite a tough neighbourhood with a lot of brothers and so didnt realise that women were so toxic until I started working in my 20s and doing the PhD. I expected that in such a tough world run by men, women had each others backs. But everything you just pointed out is something we definitely dont discuss enough. Women try to project the idea of sisterhood but there isnt one, and never has been. Im more aware now in light of my experiences but its good that youve opened up this narrative as it needs much more acknowledgment.

T

Quote From Drhannahb:
Quote From Tudor_Queen:
Quote From Drhannahb:
I would advise that you try to ignore what others are doing or how fast other people finish their PhD etc.

Trying to apply this now! : D

The best of luck Tudor_Queen! Whereabouts are you on your phd journey? I wish you well. The writing up phase is definitely the most challenging but it’s the last hurdle to overcome (the viva isn’t as bad to be honest). I felt much more elated when I submitted my thesis than when the viva ended, because you know the hard part is over.

I'm so sorry I didn't see this before. The short answer is: I am in my final year. :-) But if you want more detail, you can see:
Thank you for the well wishes! And congratulations on your PhD!

P

Quote From Drhannahb:
PM133 we are on the same page with this. Ive always been a little naive about the world (overprotected daddys girl from birth!) but I grew up in quite a tough neighbourhood with a lot of brothers and so didnt realise that women were so toxic until I started working in my 20s and doing the PhD. I expected that in such a tough world run by men, women had each others backs. But everything you just pointed out is something we definitely dont discuss enough. Women try to project the idea of sisterhood but there isnt one, and never has been. Im more aware now in light of my experiences but its good that youve opened up this narrative as it needs much more acknowledgment.

Unfortunately people are terrified of talking about stuff like this because when they do, someone will jump down their throats as you saw above,
My advice to my daughters was to avoid expecting sexism everywhere because eventually you start thinking you are seeing it everywhere; don't be a victim (feminism has a lot to answer for here and both my daughters have grown up to loathe everything it stands for); avoid the chip on the shoulder thing because once that happens, you are dead in the water; Don't expect fairness or equality because neither exist; Beware any man who claims to be more feminist than feminists - they could be simply using it as a predatory move; and avoid an obsession with makeup, hair dye, high heels, tight dresses etc. If you want to be taken seriously, act seriously by cutting out all that self indulgent crap because if you are spending an hour or more each day on this sort of thing, it screams out loud that you value your looks and appearance and need to be noticed above all else. You are just not going to be respected. A few men do this sort of thing as well and I have the same advice for them.