Second PhD dergee

M

Dear Forum inhabitants,
I write it to ask your opinion and take a piece of advice.
I am a 27 years old guy from Russia. In 2008 I had completed a study at a Russian agricultural academy. Since then I have been working there as a research assistant and at the same as PhD-student. The theme of my research project is about “the influence of silicon fertilizers on crop”. Now my work is completed and I will to defend my project in this autumn. I have the aim to establish a private research center on plant genetics and the development of new fertilizers. To realize this I need more deep knowledge, therefore I think to do another PhD project, for example about plant biochemistry or genetics, probably in Germany. I think it can give me not only a possibility to raise greatly the level of my professional skills, but also a to learn about the features of the research abroad. I think this is important in view of the fact that Russia remains behind in science.
What do you think – it is good idea to do the second PhD project abroad?
When “yes” I ask you to answer a couple of question:
1. I am still young enough for the second PhD project?
2. Whether will my first PhD degree a hindrance for the application to the second?

Thanks in advance!

M

Dear colleague

I don't know much about your topic, nor the system of PhDs in Russia. I do happen to know that in my country (Italy) PhDs take ages to complete (sometimes even 7-10 years) and in theory, what you are saying is possible. Having spent almost a decade in the UK, I know that a PhD here is very demanding, therefore the question you should ask yourself is:

Have I got time to do two PhDs at the same time?

If you feel that you need a second PhD to help yourself with your first PhD all you have to do is (in my opinion always) open a few more books about the topic of the second PhD.

Your age is not an issue. 27? I wish I were 27 again :)

I think you should talk to your supervisor. Discuss it with him, tell him about your weaknesses. I am sure he will give you some good advice.

BTW: I did a distance learning course during the first year of my PhD and I remember how much I struggled doing both courses at the same time (considering that my English was much worse back then too).

S

YES!!! you know what you want to do!!!
just go for it!

1. YES
2. NO

ps: concept of aging is changed now; old is 65 and above (and 50 in African countries) (can't remember the reference but its there)

love satchi

D

Hi Markov,

Sometimes it's helpful to write to people who are already working in your field, and doing what you want to do: find out their background, and find out what they recommend as far as an education and career trajectory. (You might be pleasantly surprised by what can come out of a little "networking.") It's possible you only need to do more courses in genetics, and not a full degree. On the other hand, if Germany is where your specialization is flourishing, you should probably find a way to get there, and securing an education visa to study abroad will probably be the easiest way to do that.

M

Thank you for your answers! And sorry for my English.:$