Seems to have worked : petition to ban posts like: need money for/ should i do a PhD please help? How to get a PhD?

R

well boys and girls.

nice to see notes at the top of forum asking people not so ask silly questions asking for money or studentships :) my work here is done

its a shame the last thread was deleted. although it was getting heated I thought there was some interesting banter flying about

J

Why was it deleted?

R

I assume because it was getting off topic and getting a little heated

here is my last post on the matter:

I do apologise. Olivia that is out of order and I agree there are some valid points there amongst the ill considered angry rhetoric this person has been using.

But this person clearly has issues

Juno, you talk about my comments as unhelpful stereotyping but the comments that this person makes are indicative of the kind of stereotyping of western nations, which encourages young impressionable Muslims to answer the call of fundamentalists ( how ever small a minority they may be). For example views that all western nations are only interest in exploiting third world, destroying their cultures and waging war on their religion only helps to fuel the fire. Consider the following:

This is nothing other than INFORMATION HEGEMONY of West. why not Block the uncivilised lot .eh?? BOMB IRAQ, COLONISE ASIA, BOMB Hiroshima, and Then.... it is White mans Burden EH???

R

Am I not making a valid point in saying that statements like the above are potentially as unhelpful and provocative as stereotyping all Asians as terrorists?

This discussion if continued should be started on a non postgrad related topic thread

S

That poster may be a troll.

G

So much for the British democracy!!

J

He clearly does have issues, and he was certainly sterotyping too.

But stereotyping of Westerners is far less prevalent and insidious as the sterotyping of Asians as potential terrorists: I understand your comment was not serious, but I can understand why Asians get sick and tired of it.

I'm old enough to remember the IRA "campaigns" of the 80's, and several relatives of mine have been the butt of (at best) jokes and (at worst) beatings for being "terrorists" - i.e. for having Northern Irish accents in public. That's probably why I'm not keen on this sort of joke.

Anyway I did not intend to be bad-tempered and I apologise if I was. I must have missed a few messages because I didn't think the thread was "heated" last time I looked. Perhaps it got more heated after that..

R

I know how you feel Juno. I am irish myself. Im slagged off a fair bit by my mates in england generally by people who no nothing about Ireland or Irish history. Most of the time its good natured, sometimes I take exception but I give as good as I get ;) so its all good banter

S

I'm half-asian and have no British ancestry at all.

Still think giri is a troll.

J

Glad we'll all happy again.

T

I agree Smilodon i think we have another Troll on the forum.

J

Oops, wasn't being sarcastic Smilodon. My message was in reponse to rjb's!

R

A friendly word of advice guys and girls. ive already been reprimanded by admin on this forum for previous comments on this thread. so be careful what you say. they might come and get you too....

No Doubt our angry friend who started this in the first place has had no complaints against him ( yet )

G

I have No complain. It is a another clear example how western democracies hush up the "unwanted' stuff from the forums. in the process the whole thread is gone for a six!

We are not trying to keep you quiet just trying to keep the forum a freindly place for everyone. put your self in other people's shoes when writing a reply if you where them would you be offended or upset or feel uncomfortable?
If you are unsure there is a Rules tab located at the top of the screen which you can all look at to give you an idea of what not to write!

Many thanks for your co-operation in this matter.
Postgraduate Forum team.