sick competition among PhD students

S

I have noticed recently, a strange, a bit sick competition developing among PhD students on my year, that work within similar field. I know, yes we are all guarding our brilliant ideas we'd love to publish one day, but I find it a bit uncomfortable. Cos sometimes you really want to talk to somebody, or have somebody read your draft who knows what the hell you are talking about, or get constructive criticism. A person I sent my stuff to, didn’t even give me a proper feedback apart from ‘good’, that doesn’t really help, and I know there were mistakes cos I found them later! It makes me wonder, is it deliberate?
Not mentioning sharing information about conferences, some brilliant papers u know they will help somebody else.
Am I an idealist afraid to face the reality or people just got too bloody ambitious and egoistical?

G

Maybe they were just too busy.

T

there should be some people who are truly into research. the people in my group are also varied on the passion for research. Most motivated researchers are conservative about sharing ideas, they already too many ideas to develop.. so try to find these people. If there is nobody like that in your group, then maybe the environment is not good enough.

B

I agree with tomFinland. It is possible to build positive professional relationships with some people. Those people may not even be working in your exact area, so cast your nets a little wider . . . I have found great support (personally and academically) from the unlikeliest of people.

S

thank you. I am on the 1st year and still learning how to talk to people and the behaviour. It's tough though but hey, im really happy i have found this forum cos we can ask anything and get the support.
I will stay positive.

L

I have experienced this firsthand ... sick competition.
From scholarships to conferences ... I'm sick and tired of this unhealthy competitions. I'm not even willing to compete. Can't we live in peace?

T

there should be plenty of conferences or scholarships to apply for; and usually you compete with thousands of others; not only those from your own group/university. Just focus on your work and make it as best as you can.

F

You are here not to BE chosen but to CHOOSE. Competition is nothing but accepting to measure yourself against others and therefore embrace and surrender willingly to the values of the academic system.

Alternatively you can choose to do your project purely for the learning experience (about YOUR inner being) it presents. Give thing your own meaning. Forget competing, social comparison, jealousy, feeling worthless. Let go of anxiety. Stay away from it all and mingle with like-minded persons. They are out there, rare but they exist at every uni.

S

fumbi, positive thinking. good point. i have found 2 people with good intentions already. makes a difference. thank you.

C

Im surprised, i never felt any competition with my fellow PhD students maybe because we all worked on vastly differetn subjects as we were at a very small uni - but I dont really see how you can compete as you are all doing different stuff. i have always found my fellow phds to be the best and most understanding people to discuss things with, couldnt have done it without them, but then we try and meet up socially once a week and not to bother each other during office hours... maybe something like that would help you all to get a better relationship?

T

hehe, it depends on the subject. For engineering subjects, you work in a group, and the cooperation sometimes can become competition, like you are cowriting a paper, who is the first author..

P

Not all people are w**k**s - thankfully I never experienced any competition at all and all my fellow PhD friends in our office were always very lovely and helpful...

If they're not that helpful then sod them and find someone else - in some ways I would actually suggest you give your paper or chapter etc to someone *outside* your field... as your external examiner isn't necessarily going to be 100% into your research, thus if you can explain your ideas clearly to ANYONE.. you might find your writing style improves and you gain skills in other areas.

My 2nd supervisor wasn't in my area at all, yet he was the one who helped me edit my thesis.. it really helped having a new perspective on things as I had 'assumed' people knew what I meant when I really needed to explain myself.

H

I too am suprised with some of the comments on this thread. I didn't even realise competition existed between PhD students. When I first started, I got lots of helpful comments and ideas from the more experienced students. I now relay my experience on to the new starters and try and help them if they have any questions.

For me, a PhD is a very individual thing and if I do better, it would be for myself and not to be better than anyone else in my research group. If someone does well, gets a publication, wins a scholarship, I don't feel jealous, I feel glad that they are reinforcing how good our research group is.

S

yep, PhD is VERY individual, totally agree. had a chat with a fellow PhD student in the same group as me (different lit period though) and she confirmed my observation, it is unhealthy competetive on our year. i guess i will focus on my work and be very selective.

S

to PC-Geek, yes, thats a good advice, i shall do that. a different point of view may suprisingly create challanging comments