So where are the old schoolers 04-07

B

Hi guys

I enrolled on a PhD in 04-05 and sued this website alot for guidance. I returend to it tonight for an update and noticed some familiar names were posting (ok it was only one- bilbobaggins).

Just wondering if any of you were posting around this time and how you have got on. I left the PhD, got a job in academia, and am now considering trying to take on the beast once again!

B

G

The Beast has doubled in size, grew plenty new scary teeth and is waiting for you. But, my sincere advice is 'hit where it hurts most this time' lol

J

I started my PhD in 05 and finished in 08, got post doc and currently wondering where it all went wrong and why on earth I am down this route!! it is kind of fun sometimes, but a lot of the time I am fed up with how badly my new project is going ... but why do you want to go back to the PhD? have you hit a wall and need a PhD to progress? what ever the reasons -... good luck if you do go back!!

D

Hey bazzab, I remember you! I was on here as DanB. Untill I get banned :)

And I'm now Dr DanB, being all sensible with a job :(

D

Actually, myself and H were pondering the other week where everyone was - there are a few names I still recognise (404 in particular).

But still my love Clara van der Akker never did return :(

Hey Bazzab... I returned to the forum a couple of months ago. It looks like most of the familiar names are gone. I still haven't finished, as I had to take a loooooooooooong break due to finances. But finishing soon hopefully.

DanB, are you still in touch with Sylvester? Did he finish?

Good luck with the 2nd time Bazzab.

D

No, I haven't spoken to him for quite a while sadly. I might try and hunt him down, I have his email somewhere around.

B

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. Ju ju- yes I am getting invloved in research in my current job and think I am so much more prepared to take on and complete a PhD. Plus, I would do well in my current job if I was heavily research focused.

Thank you all, I wish you all the best. I hope to enrol in the next year where you will be hearing a lot from me again! Watch this space :)

B

Good luck Bazzab if you go for a PhD again. I was a full-time PhD student from 1994-6 but left due to falling seriously ill. More recently I signed up for a part-time PhD and recently completed it. The previous PhD experience put me in a really strong position. I knew what to expect the second time around, and was in a better position to make the most of opportunities. So good luck if you try too.

S

Another Old Skooler checking in. Nice to know people still remember me, although probably for the wrong reasons! Submitting in the next few weeks - my 4 years is up, so the final countdown Eeek!
Where are Stu, Pea, Sixkitten, Piglet these days?

D

Oh my gosh, I remember Stu, I wonder if he's still as caustic or PhD life has mellowed him?

And Sixkitten! Oh gosh, now that's a name I definitely remember!

Glad to see you are well though Sylvester, I shall let H know you are around!

C

Wonder what happened to all of them? :-) I'm not around much these days, but I recognise all those names 8-)