Spotted first errors in thesis post-submission

B

Don't know why, but suddenly had a brain thought in the middle of the night that I should check for a specific thing in my thesis. And it was wrong. Just a caption (should have been a figure, not a table) with one of my few in-text references wrong as well. Something I did late in the writing, but didn't pick up on, despite lots of checking at the time.

And it doesn't feel so bad. I was scared to look at the thesis before now in case I found anything wrong, but this is fine. I can draw up a list of such minor errors, and take them into the viva with me.

I'm sure I'll find more when I start to reread the thesis properly ,-)

T

Well done for having such a calm and collected attitude to it Bilbo, I hope I'm like that when the time comes :-)

T

I did this, I then went through the whole thing and found typos. Sent the list to my supervisor who sent them to my examiners. This meant that they knew I had been through the thesis and also meant they only found 12 typos, not bad for 442 pages! Ask your supervisor whether they think you should do the same.

B

Thanks both. I have a meeting with my supervisor on Tuesday, so will ask him about it then.

M

Congratulations for submitting!! xx

J

I have this table-figure typo thing but my table looks more like a figure because it has a lot of ticks and X's not like a normal table so this is my justification for this typo :-(

I am too worried when progressing reading my thesis to find more typos which will make me more nervous :-(

B

Yes I have another table/figure which could go either way. My jury is still out on that one!

I've started rereading my thesis now (up to page 47 out of about 200 main pages) and am noting things as I go along. Found a comma in the wrong place yesterday, and a phrase which even I'm having trouble understanding! Noting them as I go along.

R

Congratulations on submitting Bilbo!

I had loads of minor errors, but like you, I noted them before the viva and had answers prepared for the examiners, just in case. Plus post-its everywhere with info I could have included but didn't. The middle-of-the-night thoughts about possible errors to check doesn't sound great though. Hopefully you also read bits and think oh, that's really rather good....? :-)

B

Quote From rubyw:

The middle-of-the-night thoughts about possible errors to check doesn't sound great though. Hopefully you also read bits and think oh, that's really rather good....? :-)

Yes I could have done without that middle of the night thought! Generally I'm pleased with my thesis though. I read bits that I totally forget I'd written, and find I'm pleasantly surprised by them. Which is very reassuring.