Starting after a decade

A

Hi all,

I will be starting my PhD this fall in environment management and science. I am looking for advice on how to get a little prepared for this experience. I think I don't remember much from what I studied in the master like GIS, economics which will be a part of my thesis, so I am trying to revise some of the concepts by online courses or videos.

I am wondering what software and technical skills will be helpful to learn beforehand. I wish to perform my best in the program and look for post doc in some high ranked universities. What things I have to keep in my mind for this? How important is the course work score?

Being a mom of two kids and during this pandemic, I am still not sure how everything is going to work out. But want to be prepared for what I can do.

TIA

E

I would assume you are in the USA because you mentioned course work and "fall". If I were you, I would start some online courses in coursera then try to do as good as possible in the PhD work. It is too early to think about Postdoc opportunities now. Just try to do your best, concentrate and publish. Publication is one metric of how good the PhD work was. At least for someone who is not closely involved in your research, publications might be the only way to assess your work.