starting to write up - need help!!!

C

Hi everyone, I'm starting to write up this week. I need to hand in my introduction by the end of June. Whilst I've started, I feel like I'm writing very poorly and can't quite put ideas down logically and coherently. Does anyone have any tips on writing up and in particular, not waffling (which I am particularly good at!!!) :-) I feel incredibly daunted by the task ahead because I can't break it down into chunks, and therefore, I'm sitting here doubting myself instead of just getting on with it.

Thanks!

J

just write any section. you don't have to start with the intro. that makes it easier. do the bits you like first. then fit them all together.

G

Sounds a bit like a 'procrastination issue' that you're expecting a perfect first draft? Do you write off a plan (out of interest) or just go with the mental flow?

C

hi jojo, I wouldn't ordinarily start with the intro. but my supervisor and I have decided that in terms of this project it actually makes sense - and I can change it later if necessary. But would def. prefer to be writing up another section! :)

golfpro - I think you hit the nail on the head. Definitely feel like I should be writing something perfect, or near enough, but it's mainly because I'm feeling like a PhD fraud at the mo. I want my supervisor to read it and feel like he's not wasting his time! I'm going with the mental flow but maybe I should write up a plan. I've only written 500 words!

J

I wouldn't really start with an introduction... whenever I do I find that I have to go back and rewrite it after I have done the rest because things change! Generally though you must know something, so write that. Just write what you can and you will find you'll get into the flow. I write waffle too, so am ruthless at editing and have built up an academic thesaurus that enables me to write three words in one. Be very critical about sentence structure too. Good luck!

W

I utterly sympathize...

Maister (see procrastination thread) suggests that you can start by just writing one sentence that broadly describes what you're after! Then explain that sentence to someone (use a tape recorder if you can't find a willing victim). Write down the explanation... and away you go... He also says *always* aim at draft level, not perfection, or you'll block yourself horribly (couldn't agree more!).

I've tried the tape recording thing before and it can really help - sometimes it's just easier to say it, then you can transcribe from the recording. N.B. most laptops now have built-in mikes, so you could just talk to your computer

G

I personally find it easier writing to a fairly detailed plan (indeed I was taught to do so at Master's level). Its easier to get your ideas in order, and for me removes a bit (lot) of the mental burden. That said I am aware of some really 'clever b***ers' who can write wonderful stuff off the top of their heads.

L

I too am working on the introduction of a chapter.

what helps me, is to do a pubmed search of all the relevant journal articles, and then skim read them all, writing down things that seem interesting and things i can use in my introduction, and then in a different colour, my own ramblings and thoughts and ideas.

i aim to write really crappy drafts, and i don't care about how it sounds or how "babyish" my own writing is.

L

the point is, it's much easier to improve on a crappy first draft, than it is to write perfect. wanting to write perfect first time, like it's already been said by woof, will cause a mental block, a writers block.

if you're really stuck. start a 10minute timer and do some freewriting, and write about anything even vaguely related to the introduction. you can even write about how you feel about it, what subjects you want to include, what you like and what you dont like. anything.

the point is to just write no matter how crappy it is.

and BB once told me that a psychologist was arguing that the best way to write first, was to write loads and loads of rubbish, even if it's just copied and pasted stuff from papers, or crazy ideas of your own. and then you can edit it down.

and apparetntly people who write crappy first drafts are more productive than those you plan meticulously and try to write perfect the very first time.

L

one month is plenty of time to write an introduction. only focus on subjects and information that is RELEVANT.. your introduction is not meant to be an encyclopedia. that is what i used to do, i used to go over the top with detail and include stuff that wasnt really relevant, that the reader didnt really need to understand in order to understand my own results and findings. be selective. and you will enjoy it more.

give yourself a week or so, to just read all the papers. if you get stuck on a paper, don't waste too much time on it, you might find another paper later on that explains it better. just make a note to yourself Paper X - finding it difficult to read, will come back to it later.

L

set yourself a timer, you ONLY have 30minutes to read a paper and make notes of it. act as if you're in an exam. that's really helped me to charge through more papers..

so give yourself a week, to read all the relevant papers, and dont expect to understand everything you read. but the second time you read it or the third things might start to sink in and you will begin to see shapre to what you want to write in your introduction.

good luck! and if you like you can keep us updated with how you're doing.

C

Thank you everyone for such brilliant advice! Lara, I really like your method and I think timing myself reading papers will be very helpful - it means I won't procrastinate nor will I have time to think 'I can't do this'. Thank you so much!

Will definitely let you know how I get on. I don't feel so alone now so a BIG thank you! :)

B

I'm another who'd recommend the tape method, or rather computer in my case. When I can't get my ideas clear about how to start and structure a lengthy chapter I record myself talking to the computer, working out the ideas that way in my heads. It's amazing how lucid I can be at times like that: much more so than if I try to start typing directly. Then I go back and transcribe what I said and use it as the starting point for my writing, finding it much less waffly than what I'd come up with if I tried typing directly instead. I've usually forgotten half of it by then and am quite impressed by some of the things I thought of!

L

You're very welcome CC my pleasure!! let us know how you get on..

welcome to the writing club