Supervisor or University ?

D

Hi all,

I have offered a PhD position in both Cambridge and Leeds.

In Leeds, the supervisor is famous in the UK (He is really good in his research area), while in Cambridge the supervisor is less famous but the university itself has global reputation.

Which one to choose? Please help!

Some people say the reputation of supervisor is far more important than the university itself... is it true?

H

Have you met both superivors/visitd both departments?

Supervisor reputation is important to an exten. But I'd say whether or not they are someone with whom you can comfortably work is also important. If they're so high profile that you never see them, you might find it to be a problem...

D

I have been to the 2 places and met the supervisors, they are all nice and I had a great time there.

But clearly, the lab in Leeds has more funding and the supervisor in Leeds provides me the very best - the project, the assistants, the equipments and tutor to look after me. While in Cambridge, the lab is smaller with older equipments but the research atmosphere is brilliant... so hard to choose..

S

What about the projects themselves - which one has the better long-term potential? Very tough choice.

C

Cambridge's reputation isn't going to help you if you haven't got the necessary equipment to do your exoeriments! Go to Leeds!

I'm biased though (because I'm here!) What field are you in?

D

Smilodon
Long-term potential is definitely the project in Leeds.

Do you think if I go for Cambridge in the end (for the name), it is not the actual meaning for a PhD to work for science?

Claudia
I will be based in St James Hospital - developing technique to treat cancer.

S

I think at this level indiviual supervisors/labs count for a lot. I used to be in cancer research, many years ago, and I know that some of the best work is done at institutes attached to various hospitals all over the place. It sounds like Leeds would be a good choice. If it's good project in a well-known and respected lab then you can't really go wrong after that. 3 years is a long time to do a PhD somewhere 'just for the name'. I understand your dilemma though.

D

Many thanks !! Great advice !! I have made the decision now.

C

Ah right. Sort of related then - I'm doing cardiovascular medicine. Not at St James's though, but actually at the university. I've only been to st james's once, went to a "starting your PhD" course in the brand new building....

A

I was born at St. James' Hospital!

D

To Claudia: Which "brand new building" ? Is it the Wellcome Trust Brenner Building?

To Aloha: Can you tell me more about the St Jame's Hospital site?

J

Yeah, Aloha was actually walking around as a newborn baby making notes about the hospital site.

The building can't be brandnew unless aloha was born over the past two years.

I'm so funny today...

C

Yep - it was the Wellcome Trust Brenner building!