The Dangers of Sitting

B

Saw these nice graphics on Lifehacker today:

http://www.medicalbillingandcoding.org/sitting-kills/

Having gained 10 pounds since starting the doctorate, I'm working to reverse the damage! Thought these were a good reminder. I've been using an online stopwatch, setting it for various increments as a reminder to get up and walk around, go out for a short walk, do some simple exercises, etc. It's been helping my mental attitude and my writing . . . Took some experimentation, thought, to figure out the right time increments for me (25 minute pomodoros are too short for me: but three 60-minute cycles, with short breaks between and a longer break after seems to be helping. At least I've stopped gaining.

Passing this along in case it helps anyone else stay motivated!

A

Oh but if it was only 10 pds I had gained since starting on this PhD :-(

Link is interesting, sobering and motivating - thanks (writes she standing up ;-))

M

Playing a bit fast and loose with the facts aren't they?

C

I agree with Melsie.

OK no one can argue that it's better to be less sedentary, but I think it's probably a bit more complicated than they make out. Plus what about sleeping? Aren't there a whole lot of studies that show sleeping for longer is better for you? but surely whilst lying down you're using even less energy?!

E

Good idea, I'm going to try your 3x60 min idea to see if I can get more writing done that way as well!

The sitting kills thing seems a bit OTT, most of those stats are just correlations, surely?

V

Really a very helpful tip. I am a victim of "sitting". In this two years of my M.Phil I completely spoiled my neck and back. I got at least 8 knots on the back of my shoulder. I have been writing my thesis lying on my bed with the help of a pillow. So Pls pls pls consider wht Bejas told. No research is worth your health and life!...