V embarrassing situation

======= Date Modified 19 04 2010 16:04:45 =======
I am addicted to the twilight books and have just spent most of the afternoon finishng the first one. :$

I need a postgradforum intervention, but I think it may be too late :-(

D

It is an addiction some of my friends have developed. I'm planning on never picking one up as a result!

M

I had this with the Robert Jordan 'Wheel of Time' series. Still happens every time I read them. Unfortunately there are 13 HUGE books so far! I had to seal them up in a box and put them in my parents attic coming close to one set of exams. I find setting aside some time (long enough !) to finish a book when it gets to that exciting part can be really great. You enjoy it so much more and feel refreshed for your work. Also set some tasks you have to finish before your friend/colleague/family member is allowed to give you the book back.

But sometimes it's just fun to throw caution to the wind and read like crazy! :$

S

Read the second one, if you don't have the urge to gouge your own eyes out after that then your fate is sealed and you'll have to read right to the horrible end. At least theres a light at the end of an angst-ridden, kind of creepy, badly written tunnel.

I think I like it because it sends me back to my point horror days, which seemed to be all about vampires and cheerleaders etc. I am also very pale and I like pale men, so part of me thinks that perhaps I am a vampire, I don't like veg (sprout) afterall! If I was a vampire then I could do my PhD superquick hmmmm, its becoming curiouser and curiouser!

C

I understand :$

B

I keep hearing about this twilight malarky and I'm not sure whether I should fall into its traps and see what all the fuss is about! I actually bought the first dvd for Christmas but haven't got round to watching it...anyone know how the books compare to the films?

I do need a new book to get my teeth in to- there's only so many times that you can read the Harry Potter series!

A

Do not make the same mistake i made and buy the other ones - if you really liked the first one then you will lose the next 3 days reading them all and get nothing done.

I thought book 4 was a little silly i think so theres no real need to rush out and buy that one

its also healthy to have another interest than just doing pHD work - im so looking forward to reading for pleasure and not necessity (yeah for next week if i manage to hand in the thesis)

W

Twilight? MMM, I think I'll leave that to the girls to read. I dare not express my opinion for rear of causing offence...

Quote From button:

I keep hearing about this twilight malarky and I'm not sure whether I should fall into its traps and see what all the fuss is about! I actually bought the first dvd for Christmas but haven't got round to watching it...anyone know how the books compare to the films?

I do need a new book to get my teeth in to- there's only so many times that you can read the Harry Potter series!

It is great for very easy to read trashy fiction, which is soooo good compared to scientific journals where participant x did this and participant y.........

If you liked harry potter and are female I would say these books are for you. I also read cecilia ahern books, they are big print so easy on the tired journal reading eyes, and really quite bad, so a great relief from the intensity of PhD reading! Off to start new moon!

W

No, if you're girls and after a good read, something productive and valuable at the same time, I would recommend: http://www.ellisparkerbutler.info/epb/pic/good_housekeeping_1908_08_a.jpg

Thanks Wal, I'll go straight out and get that :-s

B

Quote From sneaks:

Quote From button:

It is great for very easy to read trashy fiction, which is soooo good compared to scientific journals where participant x did this and participant y.........

If you liked harry potter and are female I would say these books are for you. I also read cecilia ahern books, they are big print so easy on the tired journal reading eyes, and really quite bad, so a great relief from the intensity of PhD reading! Off to start new moon!

I love Harry Potter more than life, and I'm pretty sure I'm female...oh dear, I think an addiction to twilight is going to develop!

L

I think we all need something a bit 'trashy' to escape into when doing a PhD!

Mine is Agatha Christie - Miss Marple. Plus old Mills and Boons from the 60s (not new ones) - really hilarious!

It's more effective I think to escape into reading than into TV, in spite of being sick of reading PhD stuff.

But - even when reading the 'trash', I start thinking how interesting it would be to do another PhD on them ...

J

Definately, although actually I found digging out my old Famous Five books was wonderful during my undergrad project. Maybe I like my reading a bit more childish than trashy. Terry Pratchett is fantastic for light reading too.