Viva nightmare

S

Dear All
I have just sat my Viva today and walked out with major corrections and re-submission in no sooner than three, no longer than 12 months.(university guidelines)..I find myself totally devastated by the outcome....My examiners said they will send me a full report of the changes I need to make, but I just feel so bereft and demotivated by what happened I cannot face the prospect of having to continue work on a thesis I thought, and was led to believe, would pass muster. Has anyone got any words of advice or encouragement? It would be greatly appreciated!!!

J

SazzyCzar, I am sorry to hear this. I have little tangible experience on the viva and the whirlwind of emotions that must accompany the final stages. However, you will find people here who have been through this situation who could better advise you. Many of these people have gone on to do postdocs, to publish, to get good lecturing positions and to basically do all of the things someone with minor corrections can do. Might take a little longer is all. It’s not going to automatically stop you achieving those things. Part of me thinks this is all a bit pot-luck and down to getting a sticky examiner. I seriously would love to see a reform of the examination process and more accountability. Have you had a good chat with your supervisor(s)?
The most useful thing I can say is people who have been through this have gone on to do just as well as those who passed with minor corrections.
Might sound trite but all I can say is I wish you the very best and sending virtual hugs and positive energy your way. Take care :-) I’m sure someone who has completed will be along with more useful advice later. All the best

D

Hi SazzyCzar,

it must be quite hard to deal with it right now, as the experience is still fresh.

Don't despair. Wait to see the report with the changes you have to make. It might not be so much work after all.

A friend of mine got major revisions as an outcome, but not because the thesis was weak, but because she started working on the main time, and the examiners wanted to give her plenty of time to complete the changes.

You also need to consider that academics from other disciplines come from different perspectives. They might suggest changes which will improve your thesis overall.

You can take advantage of this time to write up some publications too.

Good luck.

S

Hello Dr J and J Stan. Thank you so much for the soothing words. I definitely think I got a 'stickly' examiner. Regardless, I have to plod on, as you say and wait for the report. I think a major part of my angst was that I was quite unprepared to get majors. Also, the prospect of having to re-submit is not a thought I relish. Thanks again for the support!

T

Is it a pass with major corrections or a revise and resubmit? Do you have to have another viva?

C

Hi SazzyCzar, I didn't want to read and run, so I just want to let you to know that you have all my sympathies. Dr Jekyll has given very good advice. Perhaps for the time being, you could have a short break. After a week or two, you'd probably feel better and can clearly look at what needs to be done. All the best !

S

Hi All. Thanks for the advice! In answer to the questions...I think it is major corrections and re-submit with, I think, another Viva...it was quite confusing...the Uni I am at only has minors, referral for resubmission or fail. I am in the middle with referral..As time goes on I am getting my head more straight...I was told that it is def not fail...and the body of the PhD is there but I need to make substantive revision...I will do this...in time. Need the reports from int/ext. Thanks to all. It helps to not be alone...!

R

heya SazzyCzar, I am sorry to hear about major corrections. But don't give up.
I wish you all the best.

I

Hi SazzyCzar,
Sorry to hear about your plight…in my uni, never heard of anyone who resubmits and fails. Time being, make sure you get all the info (reports, etc…) on what happened and talk to your supervisor. If you have a good relationship with your supervisor you will get through this I'm sure.

The important thing is you haven't failed. Wait and see what revisions the external examiners want and plan from there. Hopefully the examiners will clearly detail what they are after from you to make the thesis a viable document.

Corrections on this scale occur due to either errors in methodology or sections of the thesis needing more discussion or elaboration. Conversely, one poster here recently had to resubmit as there was too much in their thesis.

It's not the end of the world and once you know what to do, you and your supervisor can put together a plan to rectifiy the identified problems. If on receiving the detailed corrections the examiners have apparently misunderstood your thesis (a long shot and unlikely), you may even be able to appeal against the decision.

I remember expecting major corrections as I had some misgivings about my thesis and I think my supervisor was expecting the worst also. I ended up having to correct three minor typos.

It can be luck of the draw who you get as examiners as commented above, this potentially affecting examination outcome.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

S

Hi! To all of you that have replied to my post and given me some encouragement! It really helps to know I am not alone. I am slowly coming to terms with what happened earlier this week. Still very apprehensive about what the examiners reports will say, and a little paranoid about what really happened in my Viva and whether I will be able to address the issues. Given the lovely and supporting feedback I have had on here though, I am going to persevere and steel myself to get the corrections addressed! Thanks again! Any more encouragement and advice gratefully received!!!!

M

I sympathize. I too have to resubmit, but I am getting there. My supervisor is happy with my progress and I can see that my thesis looks much better now. I am also discussing a post-doc. So I am looking forward to getting done with the thesis. Moral f the story: yes, it will take extra time but nothing is stopping you from getting what you want in life. Don't give up! You are getting there. x