viva tomorrow - any advice please

A

aarrrghhh! I have my viva tomorrow. I am terrified and feel sick with fear. Any advice?!

F

No advice as such as I have only just been give my date.

I went to a viva workshop thing the other day and they said that the viva is likely to consist of four main questions (social sciences). This obviously differs according to discipline though and was not what I expected at all.

Other advice was to be willing to admit mistakes if they spot them (rather than dig yourself deeper!) and say that you could have done x, y or z better.

Lots of people have told me that it is a really positive experience as you get the chance to discuss your subject with two experts in the field. I am holding onto that thought and hope that this is your experience tomorrow!

Good luck for tomorrow. I would try (hard I know), to relax today and not last minute cram. Also, do you have an outfit sorted? Knowing that I would smart (yet confortable) would give me some confidence, although that may not work for everyone.

Hope all goes well and please let us know.

F

Sorry for the double emoticon!

A

Thanks! It's a science PhD (biology)but actually there's probably likely to be some similarity, particularly in some of the opening questions I guess. I just hadn't expected to feel this nervous - you suddenly realise that the field of knowledge is so huge and you only know a tiny part of it! Also my washing maching has broken so am off to the launderette to make sure I have some clean clothes!

Good luck with yours too

good luck anothercathy.

J

goodluck!

you'll be fine. :)

A

One tip, don't go into your viva with a 'scared student versus scary panel' mindset. Try to think of it more as a meeting of peers. Of course, be respectful and not arrogant but have belief in yourself and your work (whilst acknowledging weaknesses, things that might have been done better another way as that shows that you have learnt from your PhD experience). Best of luck!

J

Good luck :D

K

Don’t feel pressured into answering quickly. Take time to go through your notes and supporting material.

Don’t assume that every question you are asked refers specifically to a weakness in your thesis. Even if your thesis is perfect in every way, the examiners still have a job to do and time to kill!

Don’t wear something that you’re not comfortable in.

Don’t try to answer a question that you haven’t fully understood

Don’t forget that the examiner is (usually!) human too and will be nervous. I picked this up from mine (if only ever so slightly). Remember they are under pressure to establish a rapport with you too.

K

and now the DOs!

Do smile It makes a difference and makes you feel better

Do dress smartly but comfortably.

Do ask to be excused if you need to loo, at whatever stage! Again, you need to be comfortable, and sitting cross-legged with a bladder that’s about to burst is neither comfortable nor good for you.

Do take a breath. This sounds really obvious, but I have often waffled due to not pausing and thinking about an answer properly.

Do say if you don’t understand a question, and ask for further clarification

Hope this helps

VERY BEST OF LUCK and let us know how it goes!

P

very best of luck.

C

All the very best. Just be yourself and try to feel relaxed (i know that's hard to grasp at the moment) but it helps a lot.

And remeber, you are the expert on your subject.

F

Sending confident vibes your way.

How did it go?

F

I have been wondering also.