What did you do in the first month?

C

Because I'm meant to be starting soon, as are a few other people on the forum.. What did you do in the first month or so of your PhD? Just so we can get a rough idea of what to expect... :-)

C

Oh noooo. I've just realised that doing a phd means you actually have to DO stuff!! I was planning on faffing around for the first year at least..!!

W

In the month I registered, got orientated around campus, got library card etc went to induction talks, tried to settle in and meet people. These things (like registering) seemed to take ages and I remember being frustrated I couldn't jump right in and start properly. Had an initial supervision where my supervisor gave me a list of references to follow up and I was mainly reading a lot and taking notes and beginning to work out the key themes for my literature review. I remember always feeling I should do more, faster, and my supervisor was saying slow down a bit, a PhD is meant to be taken easier than that in the first year! But now I have to try to regain some of that enthusiasm/ drive and actually finish!

F

Cheers for the info writingup, atleast gives me some idea what to expect. All I know is when registration is, and booked myself on an induction programme. Otherwise, nothing from my supervisor or my department, is this normal with 3 weeks to go?

W

You're welcome for the info. All supervisors and departments are different. I didn't hear from my supervisor until I arrived and then we arranged the first supervision so don't worry. He/she might still be on holiday! If you don't hear from them in the first week or two of term then send them an e-mail or go and knock on their door and introduce yourself.

Most departments provide some kind of welcome thing, although mine didn't! I was the only PhD student and it was very strange! You could e-mail your departmental secretary to see if there's anything you should attend. My main advice if you're going to a new place is go along to everything you can in the first few weeks and you will hopefully make some good friends to help keep you entertained along the PhD journey. Good luck!

D

Some depts are better than others and some supervisors are better than others so I wouldn't worry about it too much. At least they know you are coming and October is a good time to start as there will be lots of other newbies around.

I do like writingup's idea of introducing yourself to your supervisor ;-. My was ok at the start and then it all went downhill!!! Maybe I should reintroduce myself!!!

D

opps meant my supervisor was ok to start with.

W

ha ha worth a try!

S

Watched Trisha, Jeremy Kyle, Holby City, Eastenders omnibus, got into Hollyoaks, etc

S

It's getting towards that time of year, so here's a helpful bump. If any other seasoned campaigners or PhD veterans have any pearls of wisdom for us newbies, please contribute!

C

Thanks for all the replies guys

And yes, I'll make an effort to not be too drunk/hungover/stoned for meetings...

F

My supervisor is female, and I don't think she would appreciate "sweet texts"!

C

Maybe if you were my supervisor, DanB.... then that tactic would work...