What do PhD students wear?

D

Hi everyone,

I'm about to start my Psychology PhD next week and wanted to ask what may initially sound like a stupid question.

What do PhD students wear. Do you dress smartly like staff (I know lecturers can be tramps)or more dressed down like other students?

This wasn't an issue as an undergrad or during my MSc (e.g. jeans, trainers etc) but as well as the studying and research, I will be liasing with NHS professionals, charity directors, patients as study participants doing some teaching work etc.

I feel excited about starting but am starting to procrastinate over stupid MINOR details like this.

D

I reckon wear what you want on days you're not seeing patients etc. Then maybe a bit smarter when you have to meet people, but dont think you have to be too smart, definately not a suit

A

I did my PhD in a hospital department and there was a no jeans policy (cos of patient contact etc).

D

no one cares what you wear!!! wear what you feel right in - its like a freakshow in my lab with people that have just come off the catwalk to people who wear the same clothes for 9days running. As long as you shower and dont smell - i am sure you will be fine!

F

I am in a similar situation to Ann. If I am teaching or at the hospital then I dress smarter, other than that, anything goes.

A

Like the others have said, smarter for talking to people where you want to come across as professional, otherwise (if you are going to be in the library all day or something) whatever you like. I did some interviewing of clinicians and wore a skirt for that (I am female BTW). but also did some phone interviewing and i have been known to conduct an inteview on the phone from my sitting room in my pyjamas

S

Jeans and T shirts round here (like the lecturers in fact). Mind you, I do wear my better jeans and T shirts when I'm teaching!

R

Hi,

I maybe the odd one out, as I wear a suit. I think it makes that you are taken more seriously and also shows respect to the ones who supervise you. It is an interesting experience to see how people speak differently to you just based on clothes, is sad, but in my opinion true.

B

Well my PhDs in a similar area, and I generally dress comfortably i.e. exactly the same as when I was an undergraduate (if they want me to look fabulous on a day-to-day level, they only need to increase my stipend...)!

When I have to interact with people outside the bubble (i.e anyone not from the department) in my capacity as a researcher, I basically go smart-casual. |I find that too smart tends to freak out the general public who then think you have to power analyses them and then section them...ah, how informed people are...

So yeah, for mooching around at work, where what you like, for working out of the Ivory Tower, nicely presented, but no scary suits

B

BTW my apologies for the bizzare English there, I have been working way to hard lately.

H

I wear jeans and trainers whilst at uni but I will dress up a bit more when I visit my CASE company, i.e smart trousers, proper shoes. I think I'm probably a bit more smart when I go to conferences too, who knows who you might meet!

If you are seeing patients and meeting important people all the time, maybe you should try and dress a bit more smart most of the time. Like maybe wear jeans on some days but not trainers with them, etc and then be more smart when you are definately meeting patients etc.

K

I wear jeans and jumpers/t-shirts most of the time but if I'm presenting at lab meeting or have a supervisor meeting I wear something a bit smarter - not because I have to but because it gives me more confidence.

C

I always wear my smarter casual clothes at supervisions and when presenting papers or mixing with departmental people in seminars or events - nice jumpers, shirts, smart t-shirts. But when I'm just off to the library or just everyday stuff I have no problem wearing three day old jeans....

P

My PhD is in Medieval Costume, but luckily I don't have to dress like that! Although, I do freelance work in schools and have been dressed as a Roman lady this morning!

J

Some of the girls here are really glamorous. Don't know how they do it; as soon as I leave the house my hair kinks, mud flies onto my trousers and my makeup slides off . I'm trying to learn to appreciate the unkempt look.