Where is the love?

P

I have just been very upset by a post on this forum, which rubbished an academic discipline.
When I 1st came across this web-site I was really pleased to find a 'space', to share my woes & offer support to other researchers going through similar crisis & difficulties in their PhD research.

Being a researcher is hard enough. Its difficult to find empathy and support from one's own friends and loved ones at times, without us turning on each other. I am happy to engage in informed and constructive debate & understand that there will always be differences of opinion and out of that may come new ways of thinking - hopefully.

But in the spirit of this forum lets try and be a bit nicer and more supportive towards each other's work.

W

Don't fret too much. It is not all doctoral students who behave in this way. It is just that some warped individuals can not be helped to develop tolerance even through education. It is a shame but their twisted opinions and disregard for other peoples' research is not your problem, it is theirs. Unfortunately you can't make everyone in the world love you.

S

YEAH!!!! LETS ALL BE HIPPIES AND SPREAD THE LOVE!!!

P

Love n'Light Stu. I'm lighting a joss-stick for you now.

W

My word of the day: Joss-Stick

A thin wooden stick covered with a substance which burns slowly and produces a pleasant smell that fills the air.

I knew them as incense sticks but I guess they are the smaller ones. Reading post in the forum can be both fun and educational! Who knew.

S

I would like to point out that they don't produce a pleasant smell, they just get to the back of your throat and choke you half to death. If you want to burn something that smells nice, I'll have a sambuca thanks

S

why call yourself pea anyway!!!

D

I agree with Pea too. I dont come on this forum so much anymore, because sometimes I feel like people who are after advice, just end up being attacked

W

I agree... People do tend to jump down your throats in here (some very crudely).

S

I hope you are not referring to me, I try to give advice if I can, and in the case of a debate (more often than not started by Johannstein) I try to give a good arguement.

J

i agree weshould try and get on :)

S

Lets all get drunk

W

Actually I was referring to a number of members but it is not for the advice or the disagreeing opinions. Those are all part of the freedom to express and I welcome them. However there is a difference between saying "I don't agree with you" and saying "You are **** for not agreeing with me". I am quite new here but I have read threads and they seem rather sarcastic and discouraging sometimes.

However in your case - Stu, I think it has to be said that you have personally attempted to insult me by calling in members of my family. That was uncalled for but I think you know that. Perhaps it was a bad day? Since later on you yourself got attacked and went on to say that people shouldn't try and assume they know who you are or what you stand for. Unless ofcourse you don't practise what you preach. Generally I don't find you offensive or crude.

W

I will have a glass of Cava and orange juice.

S

cava and orange juice? very posh

I will have a jack daniels and coke