Where to go?

R

Hi

I've just completed my undergrad degree and I am taking a year out before taking a MSc. Currently I have offers on courses at 4 different universities. I have now managed to narrow this choice down to 2 universities. However one of the institutions is where I did my undergrad degree. I am unsure whether it is better to move to a new university and have a fresh start, or whether I should just stay at my current university, which to be honest will be much easier as I will get a reduction in course fees and I know the area etc.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this?

Thanks

D

Hi Raf, I personally moved to different unis for UG/Masters/PhD. However I came across many people who stayed on, all said they wished they had moved as it "wasn't the same" - memories, friends had moved on, the expectation things would still be the same but just never weren't.

Hi Raf. I can't say from my own experience as I took a few years out in between my undergraduate and postgraduate studies, and went somewhere different for postgrad. But I've heard the same thing from people who stayed on at the same university - it felt completely different to them as so many of their friends had left. Being a postgraduate is very different from being an undergraduate anyway - the focus is different, the expectations of how you will work (much more self-reliance and self-motivation) and the concentration on studies as opposed to the student lifestyle with studies as one part of that (if that makes sense!)

I would say think about the actual course - which looks more like the sort of thing you want to study? Which one will teach you more? Which one will set you up better for whatever you think you might want to do afterwards?

There is something to be said for being familiar with the department and how the university works, this can make it easier to focus on your studies right from the start, rather than wasting time figuring out things like how journal access works in different institutions, or trying to settle into a new place where you know absolutely nobody and don 't know the area. However, there is also something to be said for going to a new place - the approach of the department may be very different, giving you a fresh perspective on your area and deepening your undertsanding of your subject. It can also be nice to feel like you have a fresh start, and explore new places, and leave behind the old undergraduate life.

That's not giving you an asnwer really, but I think there's lots to think about! But whatever decision you make, I'm sure you'll get a lot out of the postgrad experience, so don't stress too much about the decision!

C

I stayed at the same university for BSc and MSc then moved for PhD. I can't say staying harmed me chances of getting a PhD and I have/had at the time no regrets about it. It was different being a postgraduate student, but it was also nice knowing the department and the city, and meant I didn't have to move house.The reduction in fees would be good too. Personally I ccan'tsee any reason to move for the sake of moving. On the other hand if you do fancy a change or the other course is better then I''d think about moving..

K

Hey Raf! I would simply go where you think the best course is! I did my BSc and MSc (and now my PhD) at the same uni, and yes it was a bit different, but I certainly didn't have any regrets about staying. Some of my friends had left but it was easy enough to get to know new people on the course or get to know people who had been on the same undergrad that I had never got to know properly before. And with it only being a short course, it was nice not to have to get to grips with a new city, new uni, new department etc. I really wouldn't worry to much about moving vs staying- just stick with the best course that you think will offer you the best opportunities! Best, KB