Why I didn't the job i wanted so much :(

S

Hello All,

Here I am again, thinking of what I have done wrong and frustrated as usual.
I would like some ideas please, I found it very strange that I am not getting any responses from prespective supervisors.

Well, I have applied for a job and I was total fit for that job, I have done every thing needed to do that Job, I have a publication in respected journal in that area, I really like that subject as well and want to investigate it, but I don't understand why I was not even called for an interview? am so upset and disappointed.

another thing, there was a job advert and I was interested in, but the job description was a bit vague, so I asked the principal investigator about the project, but I didn't get any replies as well! it is so rude and I have done part of the research so I know what is about

Ok this is going on for a while no one reply to me, and am thinking may be am doing something wrong.
Do you think a cover letter really affect that much to be called for an interview? I mean I do my best but since am not English am wondering may be they don't like the way I write? or is there any other reasons you might think of?
I would appreciate any suggestions.

I have read every guide on how to write a perfect cover letter..etc and I asked my supervisor to look at my letter, he told me the letter should reflect my personality so, he can not help that much, he didn't suggest any major changes to the letter, except few language related changes, so am thinking it is not that bad
I just can't get it why no one replies to me, even for rejection, at least I will know what is wrong with my application :(

Thanks so much

S

60 views and no replies! what am doing wrong?:$:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(
:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-( (:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-( (:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-((:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-( I'm really that sad.

W

There's little point me stating the obvious, Someone3. It's a very tough job market for post-docs at the moment. An oversupply of PhDs and not enough jobs. Given the fact that you're a strong candidate, I can only say you're having terrible luck at the moment. It's horrible when you've worked so hard to get so far. All I can say is that you have to keep trying, trying and trying. Have you thought about applying for post-docs in some other countries, like America and Europe. There was something in the papers quite recently about how academics are having to move a long way from home and their families just to find work.

H

======= Date Modified 08 Mar 2010 13:49:20 =======
Someone3,

I agree with Wal. It's clear you are upset and I don't want to be harsh, but you are going to need a very thick skin to compete in the current academic job market. It is very very common to not hear anything back from employers if your application is not successful - it's not particularly nice or helpful of them, but then they probably had over 100 applications per post. you thought you had the ideal qualifications for the job, and you most likely did, but then so did many other people, some of whom had more experience/publications/teaching hours than you. It's not always a matter of you doing something 'wrong', its just that there are so many other people competing with you who are also doing everything 'right'.

If you're serious about getting an academic job you need to be prepared to keep putting in applications for months. My husband (arts subject) got his first academic job last week after searching for 1 year and 1 month, putting in about thirty applications. Two of his friends who completed at the same time have yet to find work, while a third gave up and left academia. It's really tough.

I hope you can get through this difficult patch and stick it out. there are lots of others on this forum trying to find jobs too, and I hope you can find support here and elsewhere.

Heifer

B

Someone3 - many sympathies.. It's horrible at the moment. And there are just so many talented people trying to get academic jobs. A lot of institutions do say in the advert, the interviews are this date and if you don't hear from us assume rejection or words to that effect. Have you tried asking for feedback from the university offering the perfect job? THey may have a policy not to give it, or may just say something bland, but it might be worth asking in case you got something helpful.

J

Are you a non-UK /EU applicant - if so then you will always find it harder to get a post in the UK as work permits etc are needed and many employers don't want the hassle of appointing someone only to have their work permit refused. Harsh but the reality of oversupply of quality applicants.