Working in MS Word in two languages...how?

B

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing a PhD in French studies and continually quote in French although of course I'm writing in English. My MS word (2007 Vista) spellcheck doesn't pick up the languages very well, for example it defaults to English in the French sections and vice-versa, so the whole document is seen as wrong, and doesn't end up being spell checked at all! Even worse, it automatically changes words which are similar in both languages, for example 'limites' will be anglicised. My hard copies come back with my supervisors correcting the French, which is pretty embarrassing!

I thought this must be a common problem so wondered how other people approach using more than one language in Word? There doesn't seem to be much help on the internet, aside from changing default language settings, which I have done.

All suggestions gratefully received.

C

The only thing I can think of is to insert a section break before each change of language, and then change the default language setting in each section. It seems to work when I tried it once, but it could end up confusing the whole document if you did it multiple times, which you would need to if you keep going between two languages.

T

I have the same problem. I just use the most common language (English) and correct that and then go back and highlight any Italian text and change the language and then correct that. Turn off any automatic corrections though.