would you apply?

======= Date Modified 21 Feb 2011 11:38:14 =======
I'm in the final stages of my write up, I NEED a job.

There's a senior lecturer job going in my field (£45k ish). Now obviously I reckon I am WAY under-experienced for that. They said they want someone with a PhD and publications (I have 1 and have about 6 in prep - some going to v top journals).

Should I apply? Hubby says I should as they advertise for the best and take what they get ;-)

I just feel a bit 'big for my boots' doing so :$

P

yes absolutely!

if you get the job, wonderful! If you don't, well you will learn a lot from going to such a job interview - what they are really looking for (giving you future goals to achieve) and what sorts of questions they will ask. It will be a great practice if nothing else!

A

I would, sure why not?

I wrote in another thread about a course a few of us had to go on about cover letters and CVs. It was given by two professors both of whom are heads of research institutes. They said (about fifty times each!) that most people applying will have the qualifications etc. but what sways it for both of them is an applicant who conveys in their cover letter how they will fit into what is already there. Years ago it was all about having one of every thing, nowadays (per the two profs) it is all about research clusters and communities. Therefore an applicant has to show how their work (though unique to them), will compliment what is already there. So they advised saying something like "I am familar with the work of Dr. 'X' and feel that my recent work on 'y' will compliment this.

Good luck(up)

I applied for a job a couple of weeks ago and saw another 'juicy' one recently.

Thanks for the advice Ady, I will apply tonight then (up)

I think my cv and covering letters are great (if I don't say so myself lol) every job I apply for I get an interview - its when they meet me in person it all goes to pot, I must be a right let down haha! - or, possibly its the fact that EVERY job I've been for has had an internal candidate sitting in the waiting room with the rest of us mugs :-(

C

Go for it Sneaks..

With RAE coming up having potential publications gives you more currency that having a list of priors. Showing a forward plan, target journals etc will mean a lot.

If you don't get it, what have you lost ? A few hours of form filling ? Hubby sounds spot on.

Chuff

I agree with everyone else, go for it! You'd really kick yourself if you didn't go for it and the person who actually got the job was at a similar point to you, and it'll be good experience for when you go for future interviews. And who knows, that feeling of not having enough experience might actually take some of the pressure off and help you to perform really well in the interview - that happened to a friend of mine, she went for a job thinking she stood no chance at all and ended up landing it - doubled her salary and increased her job status hugely in one step - they said they liked the freshness of her approach and that she was upfront about still having a lot to learn but being willing to put the effort in.

P

I've been in the same situation and it is really soul destroying getting interview after interview but then not getting the job. I've had really good feedback every time but there was always someone more experienced and usually an internal candidate. I don't know what the answer is. But I'd say go for every job as long as you tick all the essential and desirable qualities otherwise I wouldn't bother. I've been speaking to people lately about the number of applicants for jobs and one person told me 870 people applied - not for an academic job but it makes you think. If they have the pick of hundreds they are only going to interview those that have everything they want. I don't know whether it's worth even applying for an acedemic job, especially a senior one if you ahven't yet got your PhD. Oh I've gone even more negative now and contradicted myself I think. I'm very low at the moment re jobs. I was turned down for one in an organisation I've already worked for and a job which I had lots of experience and was doing elsewhere before I even started my masters. There were 8 jobs going so that means there wasn't just one person better than me but 8.
I'm waiting to hear about two applications this week.
I suppose we need jobs so we just have to keep applying and doing our best with applications and interviews.
Meanwhile my PhD work is non-existent as I have no motivation.

Quote From sneaks:

Thanks for the advice Ady, I will apply tonight then (up)

I think my cv and covering letters are great (if I don't say so myself lol) every job I apply for I get an interview - its when they meet me in person it all goes to pot, I must be a right let down haha! - or, possibly its the fact that EVERY job I've been for has had an internal candidate sitting in the waiting room with the rest of us mugs :-(

Sorry to hear you're in a similar boat Pam. I think I will apply, but with the full expectation that it won't get me anywhere (i.e. I suppose there's no harm in trying). I know how you feel - it is demoralising, especially in a recent case where I knew the record of the successful internal candidate and it was no where near as good as mine (not saying mine's amazing - the internal's was just rubbish!) Also doesn't help with my dad saying "well its going to be really really really tough for everyone and its only going to get worse and worse and worse" - thanks dad, always the motivational speaker ;-)

Oh well, I'll update the forum when I have my rejection :p

K

Hey Sneaks, definitely do it! You just never know- a lad from our department recently got a lecturer post at another uni before he had his viva (I think he had 2 or 3 publications) with no additional experience. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. And if you don't get it- don't take it personally (says the queen of taking things personally) - they are interviewing for 2-4 lecturer posts at my department right now, and there were 120 applicants and they are interviewing about 16, so it's tough competition but you just never know. Loads of luck, KB

H

Sneaks, go for it! Best of luck :)

A

Go for it - Why not?

If you don't try - you may feel 'Well I could have got that but I didn't try'.

If you don't get it - you're not going to lose anything.

Angelette

W

I'd apply for it if I were you. You never know what might be and they may really take to you. After all, you gotta be in it to win it!