I'm starting a PhD but the position I was waiting for just came out

S

Hello everybody, I apologize for opening another thread but it seems that I'm struggling more than I should for my PhD decision. I'll try to briefly summerise my story: in July I got a Marie Curie ITN position, I accepted it but actually I never wanted it because the project was not exactly what I wanted. I accepted it also because in those days I discovered that I got refused for the PhD program in a world known institute that would have been my first choice. When I was applying for the ITN, I was also applying for other programs and I got called for an interview in September. I got into this program and after talking with the PI I decided to renounce to the Marie Curie and to join his lab. I like the project, I like the city that is not far from my hometown and the institute seemed really nice. My only regret was that I won't have a so strong name as the Marie Curie on my CV, but I was happy and I was looking forward to starting. The starting date is tomorrow and I'll go there to talk to them and start the enrolling process. Everything was good but some days ago I discovered that there's an open call in that world-known institute with a PI that I like since years, probably one of the best in the world in the field. I don't know if I should apply or not. I'm happy with the position I got and I would be sad to refuse it and of course I would be unfair for the second time refusing something I already accepted, but the eventual PhD in the other institute would open me a lot of doors when I'll be done. I know it's hard to get that position, but I think I have some chances, so I want to be quite sure to accept it in case I get it. Hope you can help me in this other though decision!

S

I'm sorry to be annoying but I would really need a suggestion... Or just someone that would virtually slap my face!

D

Hi, Sandrett, my suggestion is that if you want to study in a reputable institution, you'd better refuse what you have promised as soon as possible, because this might not cause lots of problems to the university you applied before, since this university still have chance to recruit phD students. What I really want to say is that never felling shame to make a better choice when you want to pursue you dream, just let it happen.

This new PhD is not an offer and it will probable be a least 6 months before starting. In your previous post you were worried about money and said you quit your old job. So can you support yourself until the next PhD starts, even if you get it?

S

Quote From Duofi:
Hi, Sandrett, my suggestion is that if you want to study in a reputable institution, you'd better refuse what you have promised as soon as possible, because this might not cause lots of problems to the university you applied before, since this university still have chance to recruit phD students. What I really want to say is that never felling shame to make a better choice when you want to pursue you dream, just let it happen.

I cannot refuse it before I have the other one because I will risk to remain with nothing. Unfortunately, and that's what's making me think a lot, if I refuse it they cannot take another PhD student and the fellowship will be lost. That's what I've been told before accepting it, when I was about to refuse the MC.

S

Quote From rewt:
This new PhD is not an offer and it will probable be a least 6 months before starting. In your previous post you were worried about money and said you quit your old job. So can you support yourself until the next PhD starts, even if you get it?

Probably it won't start before January, that's true. At the moment I'm in my hometown so living for some months won't be a problem. Actually it could even be better because yesterday I've been told that I won't take any money before at least December for the PhD I'm starting now, because of the slow time of the university. Not ideal as well...

E

If you want to apply for the new PhD then do it. But if I were you, I would prefer to concentrate on what I have. If things with my current position do not go well, then I would start looking for alternatives.

P

Sandrett, you state that you like the project you are currently working on.
It looks like you are only interested in this other PI because you think it will look good on your CV.
Personally, I think this is a really bad thing to base a decision on.
You have literally no idea whether working with this PI will open doors for you or not. It will depend on how your PhD goes. If your base assumption that your CV will look better is false then you have a potentially disastrous situation on your hands and you simply cannot be certain you are right at this stage.

Unless you can convince yourself that you are doing the PhD because you love the project I would stay with what you've got.

The world is littered with utterly miserable people who chased CV enhancing stuff over their love of the work. Do you want to risk being one of them?

S

Hello guys, I want to thank you for your answers, they've been useful to me. I decided to stay here without applying for the other one. I think I have a good position, I spent one week in the lab and I like the people I'm working with, I like my PI a lot and I like the project as well. Furthermore, I think that the project has great potential and that I will have the freedom to handle it in the way I think it's better. Time will tell if this has been a good decision, but I have good feelings!

E

Glad to hear that your start is happy. Congratulations and wish you to achieve your goals.