MSc with distinction but no honours degree

A

Hey all,

I'm looking for a PHD and meet all the eligibility criteria for UK programmes except for the lack of an honours degree. I just have an ordinary degree which was passed with distinction as honours wasn't an option on that programme. I just completed my MSc which I passed with distinction and was wondering if this will override the need for an honours degree? Any thoughts or has anyone been in the same position?

T

I don't think honours degrees matter. In the UK it just means you have passed most of your modules, and pretty much any student with a 2.1 or above has an honours degree. I'm sure you will be fine with your MSc.

J

It does. I have a MSc and an ordinary degree and most of the comments I get is that I need to do the honours. Pretty much EVERY PhD which is funded. If unfunded not so much of an issue,

A

Well just to update that I've been offered two fully funded PhDs, both from Russell Group Universities since that initial post so I think my MSc trumped my undergraduate. It might be different depending on subject area though. I'm in health sciences.
A

M

Quote From TreeofLife:
I don't think honours degrees matter. In the UK it just means you have passed most of your modules, and pretty much any student with a 2.1 or above has an honours degree. I'm sure you will be fine with your MSc.

I double this. Tree is right. Check with other universities. Eventually, you will find one that says yes.

M

Quote From TreeofLife:

I double this. Tree is right.
Quote From Auroracase:
Well just to update that I've been offered two fully funded PhDs, both from Russell Group Universities since that initial post so I think my MSc trumped my undergraduate. It might be different depending on subject area though. I'm in health sciences.
A

Congrats! I just read this. Good luck!

A

Thanks Marasp, start in October, looking forward to it!