Can someone explain me the funding system?

A

Hi guys,

The more I look at the PHD vacancies, the more I get confused about the funding systems... It is totally different from those in my home country Belgium.

Can someone maybe explan me this for example this:

A PhD studentship is available in the Bioengineering research group, School of Engineering Sciences (SES), and Bone and Joint research group, School of Medicine (SoM), which fully covers University tuition fees (at EU/UK level**) and provides a tax-free bursary of £13,600 per year, rising annually (each October) in line with the UK Government (EPSRC) recommended rate, for a 3-year duration. **EU/UK fees £3500 p.a., Overseas fee 15,500 p.a. (figures to be confirmed, and subject to annual increase).
There is NO additional funding available for overseas fees. We regret it will not be possible to consider your application unless you can provide funding from other sources to pay the fees difference (£12,000 for 2010/11).

I am very confused about what tuition fees are etc.

Thanks in advantage,

And since I am from Europe, do I belong to the EU group rather than overseas?

Regards,

Alex

R

Tuition fees is how much the university charges you to enrol, but being being an EU student they are paid for you. What is not clear is whether EU students also get the £13.6k living cost stipend (they usually don't, but EPSRC have changed their rules a few times over the years).

C

I would contact them - it sounds like your fees would be paid. They've probably forgotten that Belgium is in the EU :p