PhD finance

A

Hey, i am a New PhD student in Law. I am struggling with the finance. I am not able to work as a lawyer that is my profession. For the first year, i will be self funded. Then, either i have to drop the PhD or to leave the country. So would you suggest me to do to support myself financially. What are you doing fellow students?

P

Quote From andyx:
Hey, i am a New PhD student in Law. I am struggling with the finance. I am not able to work as a lawyer that is my profession. For the first year, i will be self funded. Then, either i have to drop the PhD or to leave the country. So would you suggest me to do to support myself financially. What are you doing fellow students?

Most students are funded by research council/university studentships, but it might be too late for you to look at these (and many aren't available to non-EU students). Many self-funded UK students either work alongside their PhD - which usually means they go part-time but not always - or rely on the doctoral loan/savings.

It might be possible for you to get small grants from charities/foundations relevant to the area you're researching. Have you also asked your university for help or advice? It seems slightly irresponsible of them to take on an international student without proof that that student can afford it.

E

Hi. I am sorry to do that. I would advise you to change the degree as soon as possible to Master by research or taught Master. Otherwise it is more likely you won't get anything and exit with nothing.

P

I'm not sure I understand what has happened here.
Presumably you had plans in place at the start of the PhD to allow you to get through the entire process?
Did something change during the year to upset those plans?