Overview of s2de

Overview

Avatar placeholder
s2de
Friday, 13 December 2019 at 12:37pm
Thursday, 16 January 2020 at 5:02pm
2
Login to send a private message to s2de
page 1 of 1 recent posts

Thread: Waiting time for official result and corrections after viva?

posted
16-Jan-20, 17:11
by s2de
Avatar for s2de
posted about 1 month ago
I had my viva in December and was told after I passed with minor corrections. However, I am still waiting to get the official result on my university account and receive the corrections. According to the college regulations the examiners report is supposed to be submitted within 2 weeks of the viva so I emailed the college office today to ask what was going on and was told that the 2 week turnaround was delayed by the Christmas break. I am slightly annoyed because even with Christmas, I think there has been enough time. I also have a job offer in the US but can't apply for the visa until I get an official document of passing my PhD. I suppose I can complain to the college but what are they going to do? This is dependent on the examiners getting the report back and approved. How long did anyone else have to wait to receive their official result and corrections? Is this commonly something that takes a long time?

Thread: advice about deciding between postdoc offers?

posted
13-Dec-19, 12:50
by s2de
Avatar for s2de
posted about 2 months ago
I am currently having a dilemma about deciding between postdoc offers. I have one offer from a lab in the states (I am in the UK), this has been ongoing for a couple of weeks but I still don't have the official offer letter yet as the university requires me to have my PhD awarded before the offer letter. I have my Viva next week, hopefully I will pass but even then I still won't officially have my degree until all corrections are accepted and approved. This could obviously take months and a visa etc would need to be sorted.

Today I received an official offer for a postdoc in the UK to start in the new year. This project is not as appealing to me, I prefer the job in the US but it seems it might be a bad idea to turn down the job in the UK as I obviously can't afford to be unemployed for months, especially when it is not certain when I would be able to start in the USA.

I think I have time to think about it over the weekend but it i'm finding it quite a dilemma to decide what to do. An exciting opportunity in the US versus actual paid job in the UK? Any advice in this situation? Anyone had similar experience of deciding between jobs?
page 1 of 1 recent posts

Postgraduate
Forum

Copyright ©2018
All rights reserved

Postgraduate Forum

Masters Degrees

PhD Opportunities

PostgraduateForum is a trading name of FindAUniversity Ltd
FindAUniversity Ltd, 77 Sidney St, Sheffield, S1 4RG, UK. Tel +44 (0) 114 268 4940 Fax: +44 (0) 114 268 5766