Let's have a forum meet: Episode II

T

Quote From adam:

Plus, I'm sure we have a few FindAPhD/FindAMasters/FindAPostDoc mouse mats and coasters for you all.(up)(up)

I'm not for sale. Oh, sorry...coasters...I misread...

S

Sheffield seems popular but London is still ahead? I have read comparatively few positive London threads so I guess there's a lot of secret London lovers. Come on guys, free stuff??? Sheffield!!! I had a great time there on a conference. Seem to remember a pretty cool place called the Devonshire Cat or something? any of you Sheffield people know it?

C

Looove the Dev Cat! Strawberry beer ftw! :-x

A

Great selection of local and international beers! Tres Bien!!

lol coasters.... I mean coastman :-)

So everyone, London then? Not secretly but openly L_O_N_D_O_N!

T

The great selection of local and international beers almost swung me, but I'm with you for London 404 8-) . Though I reckon the Olympics would have finished by the time we actually get round to it...

Quote From thecoastman:

Though I reckon the Olympics would have finished by the time we actually get round to it...

:-)

This time I have a good feeling that it'll happen. Weekend or a weekday everyone?

O

Not London....who hasn't been to London???!!!! There is nothing particularly novel about going to London.

I still vote Sheffield. Its really the natural choice, being the home of the PGF. What good is a meet up without the forum administrators, without whom none of this would be possible??! Besides that, I think its worth the excuse to get out to a different part of the country and see another town. Yorkshire is a particularly beautiful part of England, and altogether different in feel and character than London. And it has better pubs, IMO, better pub food, friendlier pub inhabitants, better football teams, and a MUCH more pleasant regional accent than the regional accent of the Home Counties. Yorkshire is the absolute gem of England.

This might be the only reason some of us would have to get to Sheffield, so why squander it? Broaden your horizons! Spread your wings! Don't be London-ist!

O

And good music as well, home of Kate Rusby!

R

Why not have two then?

I voted for London, though I've got nothing against Sheffield, but have a lot of time constraints at the moment. It's difficult enough justifying why I don't go to visit my own family in the same part of the country, let alone anything further afield.

P

Lets just meet up..... anywhere is fine.... The point is to meet our fellow PhDs, who all are pressed for time...So i think we should also look for a place which is convinient for all.....!!! looking forward to meeting all of u!! *me all excited*

C

Quote From olivia:

And it has better pubs, IMO, better pub food, friendlier pub inhabitants, better football teams, and a MUCH more pleasant regional accent than the regional accent of the Home Counties.

Erm, I come from one of the Home Counties... *cries* :-(

A

======= Date Modified 30 Sep 2008 10:16:47 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
If you all decide well in advance you should be able to get cheap train tickets and also be able to put the extra work in to cover for your time off (not that you lot do anything but post on here :p)

R

Sorry Adam, there's a difference in the size of the guilt factor attached to faffing about on here in bits and bobs throughout the day, compared to spending a whole day gallivanting about the country for fun. It's a PhD submission deadline thing 8-):-s:p

K

Wow I never realised the forum admin were based in sheffield :-)

Where was the 1st meet at? Is there any pictures to see from the 1st meet? How'd that one go successful I hope ;-)