Let's have a forum meet: Episode II

Ok, let's do one in London first and see how it goes. For those who can make it, I suggest meeting at the building of Wellcome Collection, part of Wellcome Trust. It is very near to Euston and Kings Cross / Pancras Stations and British Library. It is free to get in, lots of seats, even a couple of exhibitions..... I think it would be practical to meet there.

http://www.wellcomecollection.org/visitus/index.htm

October?

;-)

R

404 - very decisive, that sounds fine! Nov's ok too.

I've no particular preference for any specific days either, it's not the sort of place you're likely to get caught up in riotous weekend binge drinkers.

A

boo! you've let us down! Right, come on you 36% pull you fingers out

S

Yes a London meet sounds brilliant- may I suggest another poll to decide apon a date? Would it be a week day or weekend?

R

Quote From Adam:

hehehe or maybe you could have a day down in London, if you put some extra work in to cover for your time off?
:p

T

That's the spirit Rubyw ;-)

T

Quote From Adam:

Ahem, and its 35% now...

T

Awww was hoping it would be in the north :p But I can do london.. although not in october hehe

O

Perhaps it makes sense to do a double-meet--London for those who can make it there, and Sheffield for those who can make it to there. The plans for a double meet would not have to come into conflict with each other, as its highly unlikely there is a large pool of people for whom London and Sheffield are equal choices, and one meeting would signficantly diminish the attendance at the other.

So, ( in grand American tradition :p ) hereby make Sheffield a write in runner up candidate, and will see what can be done about sorting dates and times and places.

PGF team--its your home town. Whats a good venue, good time of day, good day of the week?

Sheffield meeters--any preference on time of day or day of the week?

A

Depends what you plan on doing when you are here?

O

Quote From Adam:

Depends what you plan on doing when you are here?

Well, as PhD students, of course we would want to sit in silent, dark rooms with computers, all by ourselves, of course.....NOT!!! Perhaps a quick tour of the PFG offices, an introduction to the fish, and then a tour of Sheffields finest (pubs).

T

But then you'll only get to meet half the people (or according to the poll, we would miss out on seeing 34%...) :-(

O

But only if you assume if 100% of the 34% would go to London......and I would guess that a huge percentage of the 34% for whatever reason could not make the London venue in any event.......and might get left out of ANY meeting at all.....

S

ooooh, I'm with Olivia on this! I would point out, (in the great American democratic tradition!!) that actually less than half the people who voted want to go to London, whereas a *majority* of people would rather not go there! I'm in the Sheffield group (despite living in Manchester) and there's no way anyone I know who uses the forum would go to London. So when there is a London meet, I think you'll get less than half anyway.
So, Olivia, pubs. Excellent idea.

E

======= Date Modified 02 Oct 2008 07:38:29 =======
London would be my vote as I'm there already. As to whether I could make Sheffield, depends when and how busy I am.

@Adam, can you make it into a Conference?

Just make an official date, publish some flyers (you can be keynote speaker), then we can claim from our departments for travel...