Let's have a forum meet: Episode II

O

Quote From sleepyhead:

ooooh, I'm with Olivia on this! I would point out, (in the great American democratic tradition!!) that actually less than half the people who voted want to go to London, whereas a *majority* of people would rather not go there! I'm in the Sheffield group (despite living in Manchester) and there's no way anyone I know who uses the forum would go to London. So when there is a London meet, I think you'll get less than half anyway.

So, Olivia, pubs. Excellent idea.

8-)(up) just had a random check of trainfares to Sheffield from various points and its very cheap to get to, at least four weeks ahead of time, £14 return seems very common. Getting to and from London and around within London can be very expensive, so I think that Sheffield will be kind to the student budget ( and am guessing that pub prices are cheaper than in London as well?)

I realize that pubs might not be everyone's cup of tea ( ouch, those mixed metaphors don't work) but even for those who do not drink alcohol for whatever reasons, could you be comfortable in that atmosphere, a bit of social drink, pub food, relaxing, etc? It would be hard to find a location that caters to everyone's needs and taste, I am guessing. Just peeking at Wikipedia for some Sheffield fast facts, it looks like it has a fascinating local history ( again not sure what others interestes are in this, but I love looking at the local history of English towns, old churches, bits of crumbling walls, whatever! ) and there might be a few old things to look at.

What is preferable for people, weekend, week day, afternoon, evening?

R

Hello there, just to point out that there is a poll/thread on here somewhere called 'when is best?' done by our very own decisive 404, to see what days are preferred by those who have already decided on a London meet....

T

saturday a good day for me ... don't know what others think???? would pick london as am already based there!

S

Hi! I think Olivia's referring to when is best for the Sheffield meet; for those people who do not want to go to London (for whatever reason). Thursdays and Fridays are normally good for me (I teach Tues and Weds)... and I agree, we should have a touristy trip round the city and the Uni (so we can annoy the forum admins!!!)

T

Quote From sleepyhead:

ooooh, I'm with Olivia on this! I would point out, (in the great American democratic tradition!!) that actually less than half the people who voted want to go to London, whereas a *majority* of people would rather not go there! I'm in the Sheffield group (despite living in Manchester) and there's no way anyone I know who uses the forum would go to London. So when there is a London meet, I think you'll get less than half anyway.

Yeah but even more people voted not to go to Sheffield! Sorry, but I'm reading a journal at the same time which is also using fishy statistics... ;-)

S

Quote From thecoastman:

Quote From sleepyhead:

Yeah but even more people voted not to go to Sheffield! Sorry, but I'm reading a journal at the same time which is also using fishy statistics... ;-)

That's true, but a few people have clearly stated that they would not go to London at all...! No-one dislikes Sheffield that much. My point was that if we go for 'majority rule' we should at least have a majority (although 49% is close). If we only have significant minorities, without a majority, then parallel meetings in London, Sheffield and anywhere else, rather than a snobbish/exclusive London-only meet that ignores the wishes of most people on the forum, is the fairest way forward.

London can meet, I have no objections, what annoys me is when people have stated that Sheffield shouldn't have one because London is having one!!! That's just rude!

R

Quote From thecoastman:

heheh very astute, coastman, nothing escapes you! ;-)

R

Sleepyhead, I didn't get the impression that anyone was saying there shouldn't be a Sheffield meet, and there's absolutely nothing snobby or elitist about having a London one - it was just to get something definite sorted out for anyone who could make it, before the idea drifted off into the ether again. It's just to see how it goes... I'm sure it won't be the first or the last of these events, and if it is, well that doesn't matter either in the grand scheme of things, does it?

And if I remember rightly, most of the rudeness on this thread has been from people saying horrible things about London...

S

I think it was Olivia who suggested a separate meet in Sheffield a while back, and comments were made that this would mean less people going to London - so it was implied that there shouldn't be a separate meet.

I am rude not about London, I just don't like it, having lived there for four years. Lots of people don't like where I am from, but I don't try to make them go there

R

I think the logic behind separate things was that the idea that less people at a definite meet is better than no people at a meet that never happens because no-one can agree anything.

No-one has ever tried to make anyone go anywhere they hate either, to my knowledge... Anyway, I'm sure if anyone wants to meet up with anyone else, then it will happen somewhere with those who are interested. It just seems to be turning into a big deal. It's only an internet forum, after all. (no offence intended there to you Admins btw!)

S

Um, I'm not sure if you misunderstood me, but its not important, I support the separate meets, it was some of the London supporters who seemed a little disappointed at the idea.

I didn't say I hated London, so please don't say that I did, that's simply an untruth. There are people on the forum who really want to participate but who can't make/don't want to make a London meet, and when I said that London-only would be snobbish and exclusive, this is what I meant.

R

Well, let's leave it there Sleepyhead, I'm getting fed up with the whole thing now actually.

T

Yep this is supposed to be fun! Yes some people have said that they wouldn't like London, and though maybe no one has said it about Sheffield it doesn't mean there aren't people who feel the same. I echo someone's comments a little while ago that with Sheffield I'd feel guilty about not visiting my folks at the same time (don't tell them...) :$

Not sure where this snobby and exclusive business comes into it. I'm just sad because I'm sure there will be lots of cool people at both, and one half would miss out. Oh well sounds like I'll have to go to both then!

T

Wait a minute, my last line sounds like another excuse for procrastination. Excellent...

O

Anything I said that can be construed as anti-London was all meant tongue in check. That is the problem with electronic communication, and the meaning of words can get misconstrued easily. London is a great city. So much to offer, and a great venue for a meet up. But speaking only for myself, I would relish the opportunity to go to Sheffield, to see something or somewhere I might not ordinarily ever go, and it IS the home of the PGF team!

If there are two separate meet ups, I dont think that has to take away from either one, or the fact that there can be more in the future. Its not a one off event! or doesnt have to be! Some people logistically CANNOT get to London, so somewhere like Sheffield might mean being able to make a meet up versus not making one at all.

Even if just me and Sleepyhead meet up in Sheffield ( assuming the PGF Team will not bar their doors.....but they might.....:p:p), its just meant to be fun.

Its not a London v. Sheffield competition.

Sleepyhead since you have expressed a strong liklihood of going to Sheffiled, what works for you? I am thinking of about four weeks time.....best able to get trainfares in advance, plan schedules, etc. Any day of the week but Monday is generally fine with me.