2nd Year Accountability thread

L

Hi everyone,
As the saying goes, one step forward and 2 steps back (in my case 5 steps back). I haven't written anything since my last 1000 words. It's a crisis of confidence which I suffer regularly and then I go into some sort of mental paralysis which initiates an avoidance behaviour.

The chapter I was writing was a lit. review. The idea was to use my the first pilot study I did to write a paper and then expand it into one of the thesis chapter. I can feel time literally running out but still not in top form or firing on all cylinders. Tragic state of affairs!

I want to use tonight to see if I can redeem the time somewhat.

A116, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your site. Don't give up. You can never tell what serendipity is lurking behind what seems to be a dark cloud of disappointments. Watch out for the silver lining and keep us posted.

Take care all.

Carpe diem     

A

Good morning all,

Linton, I know how you feel.  Sometimes I feel like if I look at my lit review once more I will scream! Have you got a full on plan of what the chapter will look like?  I HATE doing them and always think that they're a massive waste of time but once you've outlined what each paragraph will address, then what each sentence will address it's just a case of "plugging" the words in (ha! like it's that easy).  Unfortunately (and I only say this because I hate doing it) this method seems to work for me. Perhaps you could try something like that?

Alli - My sites were a little unusual.  Site A was made up of two smaller sites, 1 & 2. Last week both of them dropped out.  Site B on the other hand still haven't dropped out, however, I don't have ethics for them. If they say yes then this might work out OK.  It's the fear that they drop out. My supervisor is beyond supportive and

Thank you both so much for the encouraging words.  It really has helped. I guess the main problem is that if Site B drops out there is literally nowhere else for it to go.  I've always seen the PhD as a job but I never considered the idea that I wouldn't have SOMETHING to argue at the end of it.

I also found out that I've been recommended for a job, one which I've always wanted and will probably apply for after the PhD and don't know whether to go down this road...

Rubbish!

A

Plan for today

E-mail second sup to explain the general trauma.
Finish my statistics by 2.30 at the latest.
Writing seminar at 3.

Everyone else?

L

Thanks A116. I find that method of creating the chapter outline extremely helpful. Instead of doing this for the whole chapter I've been working section by section. I'll try and spend some time thinking through the whole chapter and following through on your advice.

My goal at the start of the day was 2000 words which is effectively 2 sections. I am currently half way there but cannot bear to think about the quality of the output. I feel my sups are going to tear it to pieces (in a very nice way of course).

Will check in again this evening for update.

Best wishes

L

Can't seem to get past the 1000-word a day mark. Ended up on 1000 words yesterday.

Well today's plan:

Write 2000 words (will keep trying)

A

Linton - congrats on 1000 words again. I've got to tell you, that's amazing! If a chapter is 10,000 words that means you'd have a least a draft in 2 weeks and I wish that I had that kind of output. I think you're right to keep the aim high at the moment as you have the deadline but once you've got this in you could set the next deadline allowing for 1000 words a day?

I didn't finish my stats because stupid SPSS keeps telling me I have missing data...AND I DON'T!

Today I'm snowed in at home so can't go to a big important meeting but everyone is fine about it. The only work I have here is my pile of abstracts for my updated lit reviews so I'm going to get through, hopefully, all of them.

Let me know how it goes with the writing Linton!

A

A

Hi all!

I'm still snowed in today so carrying on with my literature review.  Read my abstracts yesterday, today I'm going to download the papers and get some of them read.

What's everyone else's plan or are you all playing in the snow?

A

L

HAD A COUPLE OF VERY BAD DAYS WITH ZERO PRODUCTIVITY.

I'd been feeling very down and terribly demoralized. Just starting writing again today after a very uplifting conversation with my mentor.

So far I've done 2,500 words today. I have about another 2k to go before calling it quit. I'm on my first can of red bull might 1 more before going to bed.

Seeing my supervisor tomorrow morning. She should have had the document on Friday, hence the drastic measures.

Will keep you posted

Take care all

Hi All,

been very busy all last week and away from my computer a lot. This week I am doing writing writing writing. So my goals for today are to plan my lit review out and write the first section, or maybe two depending on how things go.

Hows the organisational access A116?

A

SUCCESS!

I have solved my problem (when I say I, I actually mean my wonderful supervisor) and have a new organisation. Pending ethics I begin data collection next week. Yeah baby!

Thanks for asking Sneaks. How did the lit review writing go?

Congratulations on the writing Linton. How have things been today?

Mondays I don't do anything but I will check in tomorrow with goals.

A

congrats A116!

Today went rather badly - migrain and v tired, gave up at about 2pm. Found that the first section I have to write is going to take me the entire 2 weeks I have booked off to do writing (as in write the entire lit review) so will have to work super hard tomorrow. If I can just plan it out and then fill in the gaps it would be easier. Feeling frustrated now!

L

======= Date Modified 09 Feb 2009 21:49:55 =======
Hearty congratulations A116.

Well done. It's truly inspiring to see that things often find a way of working out.

Managed to send in the first draft of my article just after midnight this morning. The meeting with my supervisor went well. I feel quite motivated.

Not to worry Sneaks, I'm sure as you keep at your lit review, you'll find inspiration to set you well on your way.

Will check in tomorrow 

L

Good morning everyone!

Plan for today

- Read 6 articles required for consultancy work and make notes
- Organise literature

A

Good morning all.

Thanks for the congratulations.  Getting them on board is really great however, I'm just starting to realise how much work that actually means!

I'm going to spend the day today getting all my docs ready for the study to take along tomorrow. Then my docs for supervision.  If I have time download my lit review papers. Then a seminar at 5.  Excitingly though I'm going for a big, posh, definitely non-work related dinner this eve so that's good.

I'm very impressed with all the consultancy work you all seem to be doing! Very cool

A

My Plan today:

Get at least 2 pages of writing done!!

Decided that I need to finish this 1st section by weds evening, then move on. My Sup wants to see something and doesn't care I dont' think about the quality. I think she is just concerned she has not seen anything yet, so better to get it all to her, than just a few perfect paragraphs!???

Aaaargh! Oh well, i must plug away at it. Think I have broken my eyes by looking at screens for the last year cos I can hardly read my journals - need to go get them checked I think. In the mean time, zooming everything up to 200% :p