Black Ethnic Minority Phd Students

J

Hi

I just would like to touch base and hear from any black PhD students on this forum, as I still think we are a minority in the world of academia.

What have your expriences been like?

I still get stared at, when I go to conferences, had low points with a prejudice post doc, but overall my expeirnce has been good.

Would love to hear from you guy's.

J

MistaG

I think you misinterpreted what I said. I don't think being a black person in academia is a disadvantage in fact it has it's advantage, because obviously you stand out, as there are so few of us, for example when I give presentation I feel the audience pays me more the than usual attention.

My PhD is in the science field (Microbiology) where I see very few black PhD students (and I'm in London) which is a very cosmopolitan area.

Any black PhD students I have seen are from abroad - you know Africa, West indies, but I haven't as yet seen any home grown, British born black PhD students.

Thats why at conference the situation is interesting- even before I open my mouth, individuals assume that I'm from abroad and talk very slowly to me and articulate there words; initially I thought these people were weird or a bit loopy and I got upset, but then I decided to play with them and let them talk, talk talk, and when it was my turn too talk they would be astounded that I have a middle class London accent.

I've stopped playing games now, because a lot of people know me in conferences, but my God I've learn't a social lesson and that is not to judge people by there appearance.

As I said previously the only unhappy time I had during my Phd was having deal with a white Phd post doc who was prejudice and made it very clear that he didn't like ethnic minorities; black or asian . His problem was that he was brought up in an area where the majority of the population was white so he had no contact with black people until he came to London to do his post doc job, he admitted himself that he got all his information about black people through televison programmes and media - not only did I think this was stupid and ignorant, but how could an intelligent man like him be influenced by the media.

Anyhow we have a friendly working relationship now, but it took a while for him to feel comfortable with me and other black undergraduate and postgraduate students

J

MistaG

What are you studying?.and if I may ask where are your ethnic origins ( you can decline to answer , as this forum might be too public).

My parents are Trinidad and Tobago and came to the UK during the 1960's. I'm the first from family to go to Universitty yet alone do a bloody PhD.

I didn't put this post up to be controversial, just wanted to know whether there any black students out there, and what motivated them to do a PhD

B

Mista G - your response 'you put yourself in the "minority" corner' is sooo typical of right wing rhetoric, and the sad thing is ... you don't even realise what you are saying.

Racism doesn't have to be 'overt' for it to exist. If anything, racism is now so inextricably woven into the fabric of everyday life, people no longer recognise it ... which returns me to your statement which 'blames' ethnic minorities if they 'play' the 'race' card (... I'm simplifying my point here greatly, but hope you get the gist of what I'm driving at).

You may have an accent which distinguishes you from being from the UK, but people can't make discriminatory judgements about you purely on the way you 'look'. For Asian and Black students, this isn't the case ... skin colour is an issue in academia ... to deny that racism isn't rife in academic is totally naive!!!

Jenny - I totally understand what you are saying/where you are coming from, but hey ... maybe it's a 'black thang'!

J

Hi MistaG

The reason why I'm asking because statistically ethnic minorities are truely under represented in academia. Black boys are struggling to get through the UK school system at GCSE level, so when I see another black person doing a PhD., I am, pleasantly surprised and happy, because I know how hard it is for them to get there. You better believe me when I say that.

The majority of ethnic minorities who complete degrees usually do humanities , social sciences degrees- a tiny minority do PhD in the sciences. This is why I am reaching out to talk black students and what influenced them to do a PhD in any area.

I'm afraid MistaG you are the only one responding to this post, because others may feel the subjective isn't relevant to them or there are no black PhD students on the forum.

J

Hi Goods

I didn't want to go into the area of racism , the reason typed in this subject is becuase I simply want to get a feel and journey of how black students got where they got.

Who influenced them. How did change any negative experiences being in the UK schooling system ( if any) into a positive one for themselves ( because I assuming now you are black - correct me if I am wrong) that the journey can sometimes be rocky.

How was it for you Goods?

B

Hi Jenny,

No, I'm not black but Asian (doing a social science based PhD, full-time), and also from a (very) working-class background.

The most important influence for me has always been my family. They've always emphasised that education is a 'good thing', and always stated, 'whatever happens to you in life, once you get your bits of paper no-one can take them away from you'. I do look at people very close to me (both family and friends), and consider myself 'lucky' for being given this opportunity (i.e. the luxury of being given a bursary to undertake a PhD). Having said all that, I also know (because of my upbringing) that a PhD is not the 'be all and end all', so it helps keep the whole process in perspective.

I'm not being very articulate (I've got a raging cold at the moment), but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

With regards to the 'racism' issue ... have you started teaching yet???

J

Hi Goods

Thank you for your reply. I've got a cold as well, been off Uni all this week because I'm so ill- any way enough of my ranting.

Just like you, my parents did emphasize the need to get a good education, they kept telling me "knowledge is power". However there are two reasons why I wanted to do the PhD, the first being I love micobiology, my whole live has revolved around science and microbes. My second reason is that I 've had a lot of people trying to stop me from pursuing my goals, such as a one time Head of Department at a University I was working for as a Lab technician, went on to laugh at me when I told him I wanted to do a science degree on day release, (Well I'm having the last laugh now).

I think Mista G totally misunderstood like a lot of non white people how hard it is for black people to work within the academic world.

J

MistaG

Nobody is calling you a racist - You missed the point of the thread completely. I didn't want to discuss racism in academia, because we all now what is going on.

I wanted to talk to ethnic minoriities about their experience of reaching out to get a PhD. I don't think you understand how hard it is for black people to get through the education system in this country, especially black boys.

I've also posted the thread on the black forum site Black britain. I'm researching this topic and trying to get a flavour of what's happening in the black community in regards to higher education, as I will be interviewed quite soon by a higher education research fund.

MistaG if I've upset you please accept my apology OK

T

I have just seen this thread.. I am doing a PhD in microbiology and my supervisor is Asian, and the institute where I am doing my research is teeming with various nationalities. When I was doing my undergrad degree (in London) I had 2 asian lecturers, 1 black lecturer and there were various other nationalities.. Obviously I don't know if they have come up against racism, but the world of science doesnt seem to be affected by nationality/race/creed from what I have seen of it.

J

MistaG

What is really going on because you sound truely angry - I have never experienced somebody being so angry about something like this.

You know what - I've had to go through some serious crap in my life to get where I am- I wouldn't know where to start, because I might frighten you and all the other forum users, but I'm trying to look at things more positively in my life.

Girl I've experienced racism in my life and heard all the prejudices and then some.........., but like I said before education is power and I'm determined to help my black community to reach there goals through education.

MistaG I feel your passion for equality and I'll standby your side OK

J

Tricky

Thank you for answering my question. You mentioned one of your supervisors is black . Which University is he/she located. I just want to emphasize again. I just want to hear about the experiences of black PhD students reaching out for the degree- and who influenced them , what motivated them

I do not want to discuss racism.

Thanks

J

MistaG

Idon't even tick the ethnic origin box for the very reason you mentioned, it's irrelevant.

J

My faculty is something like 95% Asian at undergraduate level, but at PhD level there's a lot more diversity. I'm originally from a very white area (I'm white) and at first it was a bit odd being in the "minority", but now I don't even notice. In fact one of my proudest moments was when a student asked me to pass on a message to my supervisor, but didn't give her name. When my supervisor asked if the student was Asian or not (to figure out who it was), I hadn't actually noticed so couldn't say.

That could also be defined as making me gormless, but I like to think I'm now officially colourblind.

B

Mista G - At no point did I accuse you of being a racist, or try to label you as such. I would suggest you pause and reflect before writing such heated responses.

Jenny - It might be an idea to start a new thread about this (... however, I do think that part of the problem is black students experience in schooling and racism do become inextricably linked and will emerge within discussions). Are you conducting research in this area?