Black Ethnic Minority Phd Students

A

I see Goods, racism is an issue in academia, but the white powers that be decided to make you the exception I suppose? Grow up. People like you who make statements like that about racism being something in your workplace that you have to deal with and its just the way it is are the problem. What a ridiculous statement. Maybe you should try helping yourself instead of just blaming others. Any racism or suchlike is illegal. Moreover, it is carried out by vast minorities. Hence, when you come across it inform the correct authorities/police. To claim that racism is innate in academia is a sweeping and outrageous statement characteristic of someone much like a racist. Think a little harder before you speak next time.

B

Hey guys, wow, this thread got very serious very quickly! Well, Jenny, something interesting I have noticed is that you cannot talk about black people as one group. I have noticed that there are many more African black students at university, and the real problem here is with young, poor, Afro-Carribean boys. I have worked on schemes with some of these boys, and it is very very tough for them. They don't see that education has much to offer them in their life situation. I think if we want to get more Afro-Carribeans into higher education, the work needs to be done within the communities, the problem isn't necessarily with universities. Without proper support from communities and families, I don't think much will change.

J

Hi Goods

Yes I do think Mista G missed the point of my thread- I'm not too sure why it got out of control. I think it obvious there aren't any black PhD users on this forum, so I've cast my net into the another forum from called Black Britain.

I've got 3 responses so far, but nothing like the heated dibacol like we've had here. All three mentioned that they did struggle to get through the UK school system and had to work hard to get onto the PhD program. Two of them mentioned that their families were a positive influence.

J

Goods have you noticed that only two asian people have answered my question. The Asian community take education very seriously, wheras the black community do recognise the value of education but some how, seemed to get blocked from reaching out and taking advantage of it or have a negative mindset as to how it can help them ( the reasons I don't know yet).

Goods I won't start a new thread. I think this topic has run it's course. but thank you for your help.

H

Hi Jenny, I'm british-indian and normally when I go to conferences, I am one of the minorities. There are more men than women anyway and more often that not I'm the only asian woman.

However I think this is advantageous, people are more likely to remember me next time round!

Mind you, I have never suffered from racism all my life so I can't really comment on much.

J

Adem

I was trying to shy away from talking about racism in academia, but I think you are talking out of ignorance. You have no idea what is really happening.

If you have any black academics in your univesity , please talk to them about their experience.

I don't belive there is innate racism in academia, but the glass ceiling is very real for some ethnic minorities

A

Oh I see Jenny, being all knowing it may not have occurred to you that I may be an 'ethnic minority', whatever that is. I guess I'm not the only ignorant one. I went to an excellent university for my ug degree and an even better one for my PhD. At NO POINT have I ever felt any racism in these spheres. My shortcomings at any point were due to me, not the hundreds of racists which seem to have apparently infested universities. I just don't understand your angle. you went to school, did well enough to go to uni. Went to uni and did well enough to do a PhD. Are doing a Phd and then...... At what point did racism hold you back. If you try to argue that it made everything harder it doesn't follow. Everyone has issues in all parts of life, no matter what colour, life is about dealing with them.

A

About the glass ceiling, you're talking crap.

B

hi Jenny, I didn't really want to get into this, but you are talking crap. How do you know none of us are black? We maybe simply choosing not to disclose this information. You obviously have some issues. Might I suggest concentrating on your research and less on your colour. That way you can show others a good example.

J

Bobby and Adem

please read the PREVIOUS threads and you'll get a better idea why I've posted it.

I posted it to get information I didn't want to talk about race. There is no need to get personal. Why is it when we talk about black issues people have to turn to race issues. If you are black I was hoping you'll answer my question. but it's your choice not to answer my original enquiry.

I'm glad you both went to great well done.

I didn't get this hostility when I went on the black britain forum, why are you guys so wound up- READ the thread BEFORE COMMENTING PLEASE.

A

I did read it. If you really didn't want to include race in this issue you could have asked "What influenced you to do a PhD? What's your background and what problems have you faced?". That way you could have got a balanced view of issues facing all PhD students. As it is, you instantly set yourself apart by asking only black students to reply and then went on to whinge about racism. It seems that you're looking to irritate people; well at least with me it's working.

J

Adem

You obviously DID NOT read the title or the threads posted I SPECFICALLY wanted to talk to black british born PHD students,with those very questions.

I was trying to look for the positive outcomes that brought them to consider a PhD I've also explained my reasons why I need the information.

Are you deliberately trying to be contentious and misinterpreting what i trying do here or are yuo having an unwarrented whinge?

B

Jenny - I totally understand where you are coming from ... and feel the responses on this thread demonstrate why further research into this area is needed!!! (... I also think some of these responses have demonstrated a fundamental misunderstanding/confusion about 'racism' with 'institutional racism'!).

If you like, I can post some refs of books that you might find interesting - just let me know.

M

Isn't it possible that PhD students are all motivated by different things, but also possible that none are motivated by anything to do with their background?

J

You know what Goods I am at a total loss - here I was trying get information about something positive and some individuals on the forum have turned it into a race issue.

I thought as PhD students we were people who looked at things in depth as well as in breath- analyse and come to a conclusion, but some people are just NIT picking and not looking at things in context.

That's why I've emphasise read the whole entire thread in context.. I'll be interested in your books Goods- Thanks for being supportive