Black Ethnic Minority Phd Students

U

Oh, it's been so hard, poor little you.

I'm black too and I say that it's hard for everybody doing a PhD, regardless of colour!

U

If you have a look at demographic statistics you will find out why you have been the only black female on your Masters, not because of discrimination, but due to the relatively small number in comparison with other ethnic origins. It's too easy to make all these assumptions like 'Oh, I'm the only black female on my course, so all the others must have been subject to discrimination'

U

The 'Messias' has spoken...go home, loser.

U

Jenny and a couple of others have turned this into a 'race' thread, so dont talk BS

U

What on earth is an 'unnecessary race thread'????

I think it is quite important to discuss these issues, especially with regard to all the crap which has been said in this thread

U

And by the way, don't insult me and my intellectual abilities, I'm just putting things back into perspective, as I'm black and I can't stand reading this 'Jenny' and Jojo bulls.

B

PhDFreak, did you just accuse me of "slagging of my BREDRIN"?! You cheeky sod, I have never heard such crap in my life. Just because I am mixd race don't come at me with your street slang. Its pathetic. I don't have to to 'stand united' with anyone I think is a hypocrite. "My bredrin" are of my chosing. The black carribean in my family, by the way is Cuban, so don't bother with the London-boy Jamaican. I think if Castro heard you talking like that he'd have you shot. Viva La Revolution!!

H

PhDfreak, the name says it all.

WARNING THERE IS A TROLL ON THE THREAD..

M

Oh dear oh dear. Time to close the thread maybe, before it turns into a "them and us" style outburst...

Oops, too late.

A

Dear Mr PhDFreak

I am never one to criticise outbursts as they are often amusing and at least always honest. However, you shouldn't write such rubbish. What is 'bringing down your own' supposed to mean. All black people are best mates? All white people stick together? You'll have to inform me, I'm a little lost with that one. Does it mean that people are not allowed to criticise their own race? Maybe that's it....

A

Back to one of your questions; what has made this thread so frustrating, at least for me. Jenny asked specifically for only black students' views and then mentioned divide in academia (which I personally don't think exists). Sounds to me that she was the one setting up the barriers there. I'm not sure why there seems to be an opinion that some people are propogating that black applicants are discriminated against? What evidence has been shown apart from that there are fewer black scientists? You know, I've never met an eskimo scientist. Maybe that's because we are prejudice against them too...

M

I have. He was looking at polar solvents. Geddit? Ahem...

T

Come on guys play nice...

P

I agree with Coastman, I think this thread has had its day

Come on guys I know life is harder for some than others but the thing that unites us is that we are all humans with equal ammounts of feelings.
Where is the love?

U

BanD, welcome back!